Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mordecai and Rigby just got their cage cleaned after a rather cheap water bottle leaked, causing a huge mess. I have another water bottle that was used for my old rat that had Myco. It had been sitting out in my garage for a little over a year before we used it (was washed before being stored in the garage after my rattie passed) and I just now washed it with hot water and dish soap. Is there any way that a virus could be lingering on the water bottle that could harm my rat or is there any reason I shouldn't use the same water bottle just to be safe?

The same goes for any old cage stuff like toys, ramps, igloos, the cage itself, etc.

·
Registered
870 Posts
To be sure, for everything but the nozzle of the water bottle you could use a spray of vinegar then spray with peroxide see here: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2001/07/21/vinegar.aspx?_escaped_fragment_=#!

For the nozzle of the water bottle, if it is a ball valve type the vinegar/peroxide treatment will work, but if it is a spring no leak valve, I would put it in boiling water for a few minutes. Or if you have a vet for your rats, you could ask him/her.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts