Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Well, there where a few more gnits/knits/nits left on one of my rats, so my vet gave a final recommendation for treating them. She said to use something called Sevin Dust. Has anyone heard of using this as a treatment?

I have two issues with it. First, I have an issue with *any* form of dust around my rats, due of course to their respiratory problems.

Second, I don't know how I feel about rubbing a pesticide on my rats for lice (Which I have never seen).

Does anyone have any experience with this? The vet assured me it was perfectly safe, but I have some trepidations and was just curious if anyone else had used it.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I'd have the same reservations, personally.

Have you tried Revolution?

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I've tried nothing beyond what the vet injected them with (They have each had two injections).

This is my first round with this vet (I've gone once a week for the "lice" thing), but I'm really starting to lose faith and am considering searching for a different vet.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
I would definitely look for another vet, sounds like they are injecting ivermectin. Which doesn't seem to work at all and can cost a lot.

I would get a hold of Ivermectin oral paste (lots of work, cleaning scrubbing and dosing once a week for 3 weeks) or my fav Revolution (http://www.canadavet.com/Revolution.cfm)

One drop and you are done. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts