Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in NC right now on vacation staying with family. I drove down and got here last Tuesday and I've been staying at my grandparents house due to my cat allergy at my folks. I have no cell service here and I've been using an ancient dell desktop to check the forum and things.
My husband stayed behind and is watching the girls the best he can, he's allergic to them and sick, but my mommy senses are going haywire and I miss my girls :(

As most of you know I recently lost my heart rat, Lilly, and she was my only trained shoulder rat. I have extreme social anxiety along with agoraphobia and a slew of other issues that make life rather difficult. With Lilly the problems were manageable and the anxiety was easier to handle. But now that she's crossed the bridge these problems have become crippling and it's becoming harder and harder to venture out of the house. It's really making this vacation stressful.

I have four girls left; two being Lilly's daughters and the other two being her adopted granddaughters. None of them can be shoulder trained. Had I immediately started training the youngest two as soon as I brought them home I'm sure that they could have been shoulder rats. But since I had Lilly I had no need to.

So I've decided that the day after I get back home I'll be rescuing a feeder baby from the same store I got Lilly, Mica and Violet from. I'll start training right away and I'll be re-reading Rat Daddy's threads on training. I'll have to start training indoors first, as I'm sure it's going to get very cold soon in MI and since I'll be getting a baby younger than six weeks (this store has mixed genders and it infuriates me) I don't want to have a sickly girl on my hands. By the time spring rolls around she should be ready for outdoor adventures.
I prefer to get babies in pairs but for numerous reasons I'll only be getting one. She'll be with me 8-12 hours a day, that's one of the perks of being unemployed and out of school till winter semester.

Not only will I have her shoulder trained I'll be putting her through ESA training as well. Collage was a horribly snared ball of stress and anxiety and I know that my school allows ESA and service animals. And because she's a rat and easy to hide she probably wont draw too much attention to us.

I'd like to hear from those of you that have an ESA, rat or other animal, and if you got the OK from the dean to bring them to class or how do people react upon seeing them out in public? I know at least one member has a boy that's an ESA; does anyone else have one? Any tips or thoughts on the subject?

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, I appreciate it <3
No one down here really understand my love of rats, or all of the problems and issues I have; except my mum but she only understands the problems :/
I have to log on to the forum a few times a day to perk myself up lol

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!!

·
Registered
737 Posts
good luck, i got my dog registered as a esa ive thought about getting java registered i went to petsmart and the trainer got me started with nick told me the know how and stuff might can start there a rats not a dog but the process for esa should ne about the same

·
Registered
874 Posts
Thank you, I appreciate it <3
No one down here really understand my love of rats, or all of the problems and issues I have; except my mum but she only understands the problems :/
I have to log on to the forum a few times a day to perk myself up lol
Know the feeling, people think we're crazy for loving rats so much. It really does perk one up to check on the forum a few times a day. And at the end of the 'holiday' you wonder why you went at all, when all you want to do is be at home with your babies in your own comfortable safe place..... Ok speaking for myself here! ;)

Good luck with your soon to be new trainee shoulder rat and registering etc. hope it all works out well!

·
Registered
952 Posts
My dad went through alot of anxiety before he passed. He was really unable to care for himself but we got our dog regestered with his primary doctor as an esa. We just kept the paper with us while shopping or anything else. Im sure if you talk to the Dean about your service rat there wont be an issue if she is registered.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And at the end of the 'holiday' you wonder why you went at all, when all you want to do is be at home with your babies in your own comfortable safe place..... Ok speaking for myself here! ;)
I'm already feeling this way! I'm being torn in opposite directions because on one hand I'm thrilled to see my immediate family and friends, but on the other hand I'm impatient to get back home to my kids and hubby and my little safe bubble!

My dad went through alot of anxiety before he passed. He was really unable to care for himself but we got our dog regestered with his primary doctor as an esa. We just kept the paper with us while shopping or anything else. Im sure if you talk to the Dean about your service rat there wont be an issue if she is registered.
I'm hoping it'll be easy to have her allowed to stay with me. I hate in person classes. My anxiety skyrockets and I revert back to being anti-social. I'm already anti-social to begin with so I'm doubly so when it comes to human contact. It makes answering mandatory questions in the class room panic attack worthy. I've even juggled the idea of pretending to be mute so I don't get called on.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I think it's a good idea to at least do some research on. I get anxiety at times and me and my mom have been considering getting my dog, Izzy, registered for me as an ESA but we're still looking into it. Personally I think it would be extremely helpful to have an animal there that can comfort you. I know for certain that Izzy has helped me get through more situations than I probably even know just by being there. Animals sense things in a way humans don't and sometimes it's just nice to have someone there that doesn't want to talk, they just want you to pet them and they just want to be with you. Should my mom decide it would be a good idea, I would register Izzy instantly and take her to college with me.
Basically, I would just train your new rat as well as you possibly can (Which I'm sure you already know XD) and from there just see how it goes. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to register your rat as an ESA, I mean people have miniature horses as guide animals for the blind. I wish you luck in this wonderful adventure and I sincerely hope it goes smoothly for you. <3

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you, that encouragement is well appreciated!

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you!!

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I basically live on the forums, it's the only social networking site I really enjoy. I get the whole anxiety thing, I choke up when I try to be social, and then feel like an idiot later when I realize how weird I came across. I'm Asian, so I've debated pretending to not understand English to try and deter people from talking to me. I don't know anything about ESA's, but it sounds like a great idea! I look forward to hearing about your progress with it once you get your new girl :)

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I basically live on the forums, it's the only social networking site I really enjoy. I get the whole anxiety thing, I choke up when I try to be social, and then feel like an idiot later when I realize how weird I came across. I'm Asian, so I've debated pretending to not understand English to try and deter people from talking to me. I don't know anything about ESA's, but it sounds like a great idea! I look forward to hearing about your progress with it once you get your new girl :)
I do live on the forum lol
As for talking to people I don't know I tend to be very standoffish and cold so they never want to speak to me again. Most of the time it works but on occasion I've ran across someone who just didn't take the hint which throws me into panic mode which causes me to run away muttering an apology and hoping they're not following :/

I will be writing about the new baby and her progress once I get her; I'm so excited to bring home another girly I can barely contain myself!

·
Registered
952 Posts
I hope it isnt too hard on ya Fay. I basically hide just because I hate people on principal. Hide in the hoodie and not say crap while sitting in the back. The only place I ever shined in school was the kitchen.

·
Registered
874 Posts
It's the only form of social media I do as well. I check numerous times a day. I'm extremely anxious lately as I'm having problems with my daughter at school, she's in a special needs class and I had a very disturbing meeting, then had to meet with the principal and now I have to meet my ex husband to discuss this whole school thing tonight. I already suffer from GAD and am on medication, but with all this going on I'm losing it big time. I've had an upset tum for days now, feel I'll, can't sleep or switch off. The only thing able to cheer me lately are my furry babies.

Anxiety sucks and when you're forced to be around people you don't like and don't get you it's just that much worse!

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I hope it isnt too hard on ya Fay. I basically hide just because I hate people on principal. Hide in the hoodie and not say crap while sitting in the back. The only place I ever shined in school was the kitchen.
I wear my hoodie year round; it's like a safety blanket to me. I get odd looks when it's 90 degrees out :/

Anxiety sucks and when you're forced to be around people you don't like and don't get you it's just that much worse!
I'm sorry! I understand how you feel, I get sick too when I'm forced to do something I really don't want to do :(

1 - 20 of 23 Posts