Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

My family is going on vacation in December, so I need to have one of my friends look after my rats. I was wondering if there was anything I haven't thought to pack for them.
I plan to bring

Spare hammock set
food (and scoop)
water bottle
extra bedding
instruction sheet (includes vet's phone number)

Is there anything that I'm forgetting?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
-Enrichment toys?
Such as toilet rolls stuffed with treats and then wrapped up with either toilet paper or fleece, a cheerio line made of cheerios on a piece of long ribbon and things of that nature. If the friend won't be spending much time handling them, this is especially important since they can still have some fun whilst you are gone.
-Frozen veggies or fruits?
Your friend can feed them some each day ensuring they still get some healthy veggies in your absence. There is also literally zero prep time so it will be quick and easy for your friend.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the toilet roll pinatas are a good idea! How much veggie would I need to pack for two rats for a week? Here at home I usually just eyeball it so I don't really know any specifics... how much veggie would I need to pack for two rats for a week? I generally just eyeball it so I don't know specifics...

Also a question about taking them to my friend's house, I have a smaller bin cage for car rides and such, so should I put them in that and collapse my Rat Manor or just bring them in the rat manor? Should I bring one Water Bottle or two? how much extra veggie would I need to bring for my mouse? Recommendations for in cage toys?

Sorry for all the Questions!

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I would bring a small bag of mixed frozen veggies (like the kind you can buy at a grocery store) and advise the friend to give about a tablespoon per rat per day (it does not have to be exact, she can eye+ball it too). Make sure to get one without any added spices or ingredients and that the contents are safe (no onions etc). I usually buy a bag with broccoli, carrots and peas. Personally I would collapse the Rat Manor and take them in a bin or cat carrier for the car ride as it is safer. Two water bottles sounds like a good idea in case one stops working or breaks for whatever reason. A backup is always a plus. You want everything set up so your friend has a hassle-free time babysitting your precious rats. Enjoyable experience for both. For toys, you can pack up one enrichment item for every day you will be gone.

For example: 2 toilet roll pinatas, a walnut in a shell, 2 cheerio fleece lines, a tissue box filled with tissues, ratty "presents" or any variations of those. You can place all these in a cardboard box for your friend to store and once all the enrichment items have been used up, the rats can have the box to play with too.

There is information on the how to of these toys here http://www.dapper.com.au/toys.htm as well as other fun, simple ideas on keeping them entertained. I cannot help you with the mouse as I have limited knowledge in that area! Good luck. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.