Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rat started off with blood on her vagina a week ago. It was little drops. We took her to the vet's and she was abdominally palpitated and showed no signs of pain and was put on antibiotics. She started urinating bright red coloured liquid and it's a lot two days ago. I even found a tiny blood clot on her bedding today. My girl doesn't have the same amount of energy she used to and is slowly slipping away, but will still perform rodentry.

How does this happen (bleeding from one spot and then migrate to the other)? I know where a rats bits are and know the difference.

·
Registered
469 Posts
This happened to my peaches, she was bleeding and clotting from her vagina and it was in her urine. The vet had her on many medications and even cultured a sterile sample extracted straight from her bladder whilst performing surgery to check all her insides. Everything looked perfect inside apart from the fact there was blood clots in her bladder, the sample of urine showed a lot of bacteria. After a lot of money and a lot of vet visits we are still here 6 months later and although the blood is no longer visible in her urine there is still microscopic blood present in her urine. Shes been on long term antibiotics and we are still so confused about what is going on because the vet and i have literally tried everything possible :(. I dont have much advice other than it can be a long road so hang in there! Just thought id share my story, hope your baby is okay soon!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^^Thanks for sharing. My rat is clearly dying and her back legs are weak when she walks. I just noticed saliva coming out of her mouth (her mouth is covered in it) and have never seen that before on her (only on my late heart rat who passed away last November from pneumonia).

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
To me, it sounded like pyometra right off that bat when you posted before. She should've been spayed right away instead of being put on anitbiotics. It sounds like she needs to be helped across the bridge at this point and put out of her suffering. Poor thing.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think my vet has a lot of experience with exotics although he's been in the field of veterinary medicine for over 30 years. If she needed a spay he could have told me.

My girl isn't eating or drinking and has lost weight. I can feel her spine and she won't eat anything I offer her including junk food. My late rat who died from pneumonia was forcefully kept alive by me while she was being treated with antibiotics because I had hope that she would recover and suffered for 21 days. I will not do this with my current heart rat and prolong her suffering. If she makes it through the night I will bring her to the vet to help her cross over.

She's been my best friend for two years and two months and kissed me every day. She is my love and I will miss her smell, little ratty mouth, hands, and beautiful face. I have loved her while she's been with me and will continue to love her in death.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I don't think my vet has a lot of experience with exotics although he's been in the field of veterinary medicine for over 30 years. If she needed a spay he could have told me.

My girl isn't eating or drinking and has lost weight. I can feel her spine and she won't eat anything I offer her including junk food. My late rat who died from pneumonia was forcefully kept alive by me while she was being treated with antibiotics because I had hope that she would recover and suffered for 21 days. I will not do this with my current heart rat and prolong her suffering. If she makes it through the night I will bring her to the vet to help her cross over.

She's been my best friend for two years and two months and kissed me every day. She is my love and I will miss her smell, little ratty mouth, hands, and beautiful face. I have loved her while she's been with me and will continue to love her in death.
I'm so sorry.

It's a horrid feeling, that helplessness, while you watch them struggle.

Thank you for trying, with the various vet visits.

I hope she does not suffer as she passes, whether it happens tonight or you end up at the vet's.

Healing vibes your way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.