Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adopted a 2 year old girl from the Humane Society last Thursday. Today I went to pick her up and saw bright red blood right around her vaginal area. Of course I am in a panic. I discovered this with not enough time to get to the vet today. I have to wait until 11AM tomorrow.

I do have Baytril on hand. Should I give her a dose?

I suspect there are three potential things here.

1) UTI (where I think she would get Baytril anyway)

2) Pyometra which I guess is an emergency spay. I am not seeing any discharge or funny smell. She is fat but I don't know if she is distended. I haven't known her long enough to know if her chubbiness is something more sinister.

3) A cut. I did notice the one spot of blood in the cage was over a piece of walnut shell that was chewed to a fairly sharp point. I did remove the walnuts and put in fresh fleece but she may have cut herself on it. Maybe thats a long shot though, since the blood is right around the vagina.

She is eating and drinking but at 2 years old, isn't particually active anyway so I don't know if she is more lethargic than usual.

Advice? Suggestions? Anything to calm me down until 11 tomorrow?

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
First off put her on the baytril, its a good precaution, but your right to get her to the vet asap.

In terms of what It could be, if your seeing none diluter blood and it was around the vaginal opening it is most likely a womb or ovaries issue not a UTI, these tend to be pink urine or a swirl of blood in the urine rather than fresh blood.

Theres a few womb/ovaries type thing that can cause this, generally most people see blood and think pyo however theres cysts, polyps, thickend or abnormal womb lining etc, however the best treatment is still the same. I would get her in for a spay asap, her chubbiness wont help, nor will her age, but unless the vet really thinks its not in her best interest I'd give it a try, particularly if your vet is a good one for surgery. The trouble with these things is they can turn nasty quickly, and in some cases vanish into nothing.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
There actually is a 3rd option for vaginal bleeding. A genital myco outbreak. Most vets as long as its only blood recommend a week of baytril to see if the bleeding stops (myco) and if not consider a spay is next.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So the vet did an ultrasound. There is a bit of fluid in there and also a small mass. The mass could be one of two things.

1) A tumor.

2) A small ovarian cyst.

So we are to keep her on Baytril to see if the bleeding stops within 5 days. That is to prevent an infection if one is starting. As for the cyst/tumor... if its an ovarian cyst, it should resolve itself. If its a tumor, then we are looking at an end of life situation because of her age and health. Surgery isn't really a viable option right now because of that.

So keep little Willow in your thoughts and prayers for me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts