Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Umm so I have a very strong sense of smell and I wouldn't say the smell of my rats is starting to bother me but it would help a lot if I could get rid of it...especially since I got my second girl I have witnessed a fair amount of marking which in turn intensifies the stench.
I read somewhere that you can drop vanilla essence on them...can I...will it make a difference?

·
Registered
151 Posts
The vanilla thing is for introducing strange rats to each other, in the hopes of masking their scent so they don't offend each otehr. It doesn't even work for that, as rats have an extremely sensitive sense of smell.
As for reducing the rat stench, cleaning often helps a lot. White vinegar is an excellent odor remover.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
What substrate do you use and do you have shelves in your cage? Also how often do you clean it out? Actually if you can post a photo of your layout that will help too

These can have a big impact on the amount rats smell

·
Registered
452 Posts
Where do I put the vinegar and wouldn't it be toxic if they consumed it?
Vinegar is for surface cleaning; mix 1 part warm-hot water and 1 part vinegar to use as surface cleaner :) Vinegar works as odor remover and sterilizer to a point, and the hot water speeds up the evaporation process so the residue will dry up faster

1 - 6 of 6 Posts