Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i live in canada and cant buy total here but i heard that vector might be a good replacement i was wondering if anyone knew if it was good enough or not?? and if not how much crushed childrens vitamins i should mix in??

·
Registered
393 Posts
Trika said:
i live in canada and cant buy total here but i heard that vector might be a good replacement i was wondering if anyone knew if it was good enough or not?? and if not how much crushed childrens vitamins i should mix in??
I've heard that Vector is far too high in sugar to be used as a replacement. Using a children's vitamin/mineral tablet might be the way to go. I've heard some people will crush it and mix it thoroughly in with a little bit of plain oatmeal and give it to them that way. Make sure it's a multivitamin that contains both vitamins and minerals and is for children 2-4 years. You may not need to give children's vitamin/mineral tablet too often (more as a precaution) if you supplement their diet with appropriate fresh foods which also can contain a lot of vitamins and minerals.

I list some good fruits and veggies here: http://www.petinfopackets.com/rats/ratfeeding.html#fresh

How many rats do you have that you'll need to be administering the children's vitamin/mineral tablet to?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i was talking to my mother last night and she said that she might have seen total in one of the local stores so i might not need to use vitamins, but just incase; i currently have 2 rats

·
Registered
393 Posts
Trika said:
i was talking to my mother last night and she said that she might have seen total in one of the local stores so i might not need to use vitamins, but just incase; i currently have 2 rats
Hokay. I did some looking around and popped in another popular forum and searched it for past info on the matter. I didn't get any definite information but I can estimate a bit based on what I found. If you want to look further into it for more information by all means do. If you do need to use a children's vitamin/mineral tablet I THINK that a quarter to half a tablet crushed in cooked oatmeal once weekly would be okay for two rats, especially if you're supplementing things with appropriate fresh foods (fruits and veggies) too.

Another recommendation I saw was for Pet Tinic: http://www.medi-vet.com/detail.aspx~ID~2297

Apparently a person's vet recommended a dose of 0.1 ml (per rat) once daily 5 days per week for healthy rats and they mix that in cooked oatmeal.

*Note that I don't think I'd use both the Pet Tinic and the children's vitamin/mineral tablet together, as I'd be worried about overdoing it.*

I can't stress enough however, how important fresh fruits and veggies (dark leafy greens are GREAT for a lot of vitamins and minerals such as Vitamin K) are here. It's really important to provide good fresh foods even with a complete diet but in this case it could really help make sure they are getting everything they need.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i dont think im gonna need vitamins(my mom says if i cant find total she will order it) but thanks for the help :D i always make sure to feed my girls fresh veggies every day. and fresh fruit at least twice a week :D despite what my idiot uncle thinks(he says they will get diarieah if they eat fruit and veggies)but i dont realy pay attention to him because he stupidly keeps "ALL" his animals and i mean all(snakes,lizards,rat,mice,rabbits,
baby birds ect) in pine bedding on top of that he only feeds his rats and mice dairy rations and live feeds baby rats to his large animals and freezez alive mice and rats and some birdsand some baby rabbits :cry: for the reptiles that he cant live feed.and he feeds his ferrets only on dog food. its verry sad :cry: i dont think he should be allowed to keep animals like that :cry:

·
Registered
393 Posts
Trika said:
i dont think im gonna need vitamins(my mom says if i cant find total she will order it) but thanks for the help :D i always make sure to feed my girls fresh veggies every day. and fresh fruit at least twice a week :D despite what my idiot uncle thinks(he says they will get diarieah if they eat fruit and veggies)but i dont realy pay attention to him because he stupidly keeps "ALL" his animals and i mean all(snakes,lizards,rat,mice,rabbits,
baby birds ect) in pine bedding on top of that he only feeds his rats and mice dairy rations and live feeds baby rats to his large animals and freezez alive mice and rats and some birdsand some baby rabbits :cry: for the reptiles that he cant live feed.and he feeds his ferrets only on dog food. its verry sad :cry: i dont think he should be allowed to keep animals like that :cry:

Wow. There is so much wrong with your uncle's care I don't even know where to start. I actually have to wonder if he's doing anything right. That's extremely sad, I'm sure his animals probably don't live very long =(.

Sounds like you're doing good with the fresh foods and I'm glad it looks like you'll be able to get your hands on some Total. Good luck :3

·
Registered
156 Posts
drives me crazy when people treat living things like that, why bother keeping them in the first place if you can't afford to treat them with diginity. personal satisfaction? selfishness?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts