Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have veggie rats? What about vegan?
What do you use as the kibble part of there food mix?
Why are you/they veggie/vegan?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I'm a vegitarian but I don't force my rats to be ;); however, I don't buy real meat to cook for them. The new food that I found for them Holistiques Blendz contains fish protein, and I feed them eggs 1-2 times per week.

I am a Lacto Ovo Vegitarian, which means I consume eggs and milk (I completely prefer soy milk however) either directly or in other products.
I do not eat any other meat products. That means no meat no fish! It has been a slow transition, and I am now currently only buying organic eggs!

I choose to be an L.O.V. because of moral/economical reasons! Most animals who are raised for meat/eggs/milk are forced to live in inhumane conditions. I'm still learning but you can research and find facilities that are more humane! Animals are my friends :) I lived in France for 4 months, and I was located near a farm. They were raising beef cattle, and while they were in infinately better conditions than you might see in a factory, it's different when you meet them face to face. Also using land (cutting down rain forests) to raise beef cattle is an inefficient way to use the land. It takes an absurd amount of resources to produce a relatively tiny amount of beef! Truthfully this is where I feel the most strongly about being a L.O.V.

I might be on the vegan path within a year but I'm not positive.

If I could find an all veggie food for my ratties, and I was 100% positive it would not only NOT harm them but be benificial I would switch them over. As of right now i'm most focused on giving my ratties what is best for them!

Just on a random tangent btw...... if you like sausage then seriously try tofurkey sausages. They are BETTER than meat (I think) and you don't get the "nasty bits." Even when I was eating meat I was rather turned off by the random bits of bone/cartiladge/fat/blood but you don't have to worry about ANY of that with Tofurkey! My friend Arthur is not a vegitarian but he LOOOOOVES TOFURKEY!!! lol

[[[edited to add something ]]] :oops:

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm vegan and am raising my two rats vegan.
I give them a cereal mix I put together with some added vitamins, fresh vegetables and fruit and a Green Mush supplement.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts