Rat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started my introducing of ratties...My two boys (who are brothers) met one of their new cage mates and it went off great, One brother got a little mad but nothing happened. :)A little while later i introduced one brother to their other new cage mate and the cage mate chased down and attacked him a bunch...I obviously sperated them right away but this isnt the first time..both new cage mates used to be together but wolf (the agresser) kept attacking him for no reason..Should i try again or just get a new rattie?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wolf kept chasing the other rat then would pounce and start bitting/clawing him...same with his old cage mate...Now 2 of my other boys are scared of him..and he keeps trying to bite and grab one of the brothers through the bars....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've never introduced rats before, but to me, it looks like hes trying to kill them all...I recently introduced wolfs old "friend" with my two other rats and they fought a little bit, but no where as intense as with wolf...

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
He could be trying to show dominance, I would go by if there is no blood then they can work it out. I have an aggressive girl but she has caused blood with my others. To me yours just kind of sounds like he is trying to show dominance by wrestling.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Theres 0 vets/recue near me that will even touch a rat , but it might have been because he was 4 months older then the rest...anyways i talked to the rescue person i got him from, and i just traded for a younger rattie and he fits in perfect =P I felt horrible to do so, but it seems to be best for my boys & i still rescued 2 ratties so.. :)

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
It might have been a better choice being new to rats, and not knowing introductions. I'm glad the new one gets along with them.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Theres 0 vets/recue near me that will even touch a rat , but it might have been because he was 4 months older then the rest...anyways i talked to the rescue person i got him from, and i just traded for a younger rattie and he fits in perfect =P I felt horrible to do so, but it seems to be best for my boys & i still rescued 2 ratties so.. :)
Girard Vet Clinic in Philly neutered my rat for $80, just so you know :) plenty of places will take rats but they are expensive. Girard has a small animal vet who often does work on guinea pigs, rabbits, ferrets, and rats.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I'm glad it worked out for you.

Just to point out, wrestling and dominance in rats can look very violent. I think it's a combination of their speed and size that makes their fights look so vicious. When I had my first two girls at 5 and 6 weeks, they pounced each other fiercely. I was worried at first, but reading this forum helped. Basically if they're not drawing blood, it should be fine. Rats know how hard to bite to do damage, and if they aren't drawing blood then they are purposefully holding back.

But I didn't see them in action, so I could be wrong. At the very least, you can at least rest easy knowing that the aggression hasn't escalated, and these rats seem to get along better.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts