Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have had Justin and Rascal since they were 6weeks old, from a breeder. Rascal has been a lover boy from the day I fetched them, all he wants is love, cuddles and kisses. Justin was the shy, timid one that hid in the cage and never came out his little box house. They were both handled allot from the day we brought them home. Justin eventually warmed up, he isn't the cuddly type but we doesn't mind the odd kiss now and then on his tummy and he comes to you when he wants a quick cuddle. They get about 2-3hrs of free range daily. Justin likes to be on his own mission usually away from the humans. Rascal is always around us and likes to be on our shoulders kissing us all the time.

We have had our boys for almost 5 months now. About 2 months ago, Justin bit my daughter quite bad, 3 times. No one else got bitten. He nipped my fiancé a few times, but never drew blood. We respect Justin's space and no one really bothers him, my 7yr old daughter has learned to do so aswell and we never had a problem with him biting again. Up until a few days ago. My Fiancé's children have come to visit for the holidays and a few days ago, one of them was bitten really bad twice by Justin. He now leaves Justin alone. We noticed that Justin started going for our feet and toes, while free ranging. Even I got a nip!

Last night, Justin bit my fiancé really bad. This was a surprise as he actually gets along most with my fiancé. The blood was bad. Later on, Justin bit him again! Badly. He didn't want to let go of my Fiancé's finger, with repeated biting! First time was during free range, second time was when my fiancé said goodnight to Justin in his cage. Just before biting him, he did a little 'stand off' to my fiancé. And then went for him.

We battling to make sense of Justin's behavior. Why is he doing this? Out of the blue. Is he going through a cheeky stage? Is he in pain?

I must add that Justin is usually the one that picks the fights with Rascal, power grooms him, pins him down. But has never bitten him seriously.

Any advise would be appreciated.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Justin bit my fiancé for a third time and continues attacking our feet while free ranging :-(

·
Registered
499 Posts
Have you thought about getting him neutered? It may be a hormonal issue and I know boys can get rambunctious when they hit puberty. Not sure what else to suggest.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts