Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading non stop to try and find any who has heard of this but I am not really getting anywhere. I have found articles on old rats beating up on the smaller ones...but my newest 5 week old is constantly jumpin all over my older rat who is twice his size. Wally my older one does not seem so even care and I dont know if its just that Riley my younger one is trying to play but it doesnt seem like it. I am new to this so I may be over reacting. Wally seems to get his food and then Riley comes tumbling down and fights him for it even if he doesnt want to eat it. Then I hear Riley squeeking at night because Wally is trying to push him away from him. I tried watching the two but it just seems like Riley wants to play but I dont know for sure. Riley pounces on him and sometimes will grab Wally's paw and bite it. It was so weird. But that only happened when the two were uptop waiting for me to give them treats. Help! Someone who would know anything about this!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
It just sounds like playing to me. I wouldn't worry about it, especially if Wally is tolerating it. I'd keep an eye on them, just because of the size difference, but Wally's probably just rolling his eyes and thinking "Geez, when is this kid going to give it up and leave me alone?" :lol:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aaww lol ok thats good to know. I just noticed last night though that Wally just seemed out of it. I think Riley is driving him crazy and eating all the food before he can get it because I got out the bag of food for him and he went nuts! It was like he hadn't eaten in forever. Thanks for letting me know. I have been worried about the two and I have only 3 weeks of experience with them:)

·
Registered
443 Posts
I agree with Mana...sounds like playing/working out their social order.

The general rule is 'no blood, no foul.' Their play fights can sound and look violent, but as long as nobody is being hurt it's best to just let them work things out. :wink:

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Yep, sounds normal to me. Our two year old puts up with a load of grief from our one year old and it doesn't seem to phase her at all - she gets jumped on, pushed out of bed, her food stolen when she picks it up to eat it... :lol: As long as Wally is tolerating it, they're fine. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh thanks so much! I think you guys are right. I will keep an eye on them but it must be just play time for them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts