Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello new ratty friends. I am pleased to see the existance of such an active forum/ I have 3 rats. I think however, I am only going to have 2 very soon. My female rat, spooky, is very sick. She just had a litter.. 13 babies. They are manic fuzzies now, and are bouncing around theyre own cage. Unfortunately, I noticed Spooky acting funny last night...She seemed slow, lethargic, and although her belly is full enough, her spine and rips are showing clearly. She takes her favorite treats from me still (i.e. wheat bread, or banana slice) but she just hordes them and they sit. I am thinking about buying some baby formula... and trying to feed her some. (lots of vitamins an nutrients)/ Is this a bad idea? My thinking is that she is somehow malnourished.... due to feeding her 13 babies.. she has had 3 other litters though, and never ever acted this way.. shes always been our happy mama. I will be looking back at this to see if there is any advice. I think its about over though. Thanks everyone..

karl

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
hey karl-

how old is your girl? how much rest did she get between litters? does she have any lumps or bumps on her? is she pregnant again? how does her coat appear? any other symptoms of sickness?

other questions - are the other two rats males then, as i take it? do they all live in the same cage? does the option to take your poor rat to the vet even exist? if no, why not (without being too prying), if yes, please take her to the vet asap and let us know how that goes - it's her best option.

i won't touch on what i know others will want to touch on, but please answer at least these questions and maybe other members can ask a few as well to help get an idea of what might be ailing your ratty...

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Most breeders only have a female have 2-3 litters maximum and never back to back. They know it takes too much out of the girl and can affect her health. Yes, feeding a big litter can take a lot out of a little ratgirl...you need to supplement her diet like crazy. Pick up some meal replacement like Ensure or Boost, baby cereal, Ferretvite or Nutrical is another good one.

I'll wait until I see the answers to the previous poster's questions before adding any more.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts