Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey!

If anyone can give me some advice i would appreciate it so much! I adopted 3 ex-lab rat babies who needed a home & they were 8 weeks old when i got them馃グ they're 3 girls and i've had them for about a month... the only problem is that i'm finding it pretty difficult to tame them. I try and talk to them, i open the cage and hold my hand out every day to them, and as much as they will come up to me and sniff & will also take treats from me, i have got nowhere with being able to pick them up or even take them out of the cage... they seem so timid and i don't want to stress them out!

but im torn because i've read getting them out onto your bed or in a bath is a good way to tame them, but then you're always advised NOT to force them out & pick them up as it's too stressful for them! so i really don't know what to do.. how can i tame them if i can't get them out? ive tried encouraging them out onto my hand with treats but they just take them from me and run away! i've never had rats before and i'm trying to do everything right for them but i'm just worried they won't become tame :(( is there anything you could suggest? (i understand too that they are not typical pet rats and it may be harder but nothing seems to be working)

i forgot to note - if they do come out it's whenever i open the cage door & they will hop straight out and climb all on the top and down the back and it's near impossible to get them back into the cage!! They're full of energy but so timid around me :( i don't know what to do...

Attached is a pic of my babies 馃挏

Registered
There are a lot of different philosophies on getting shy rats to trust you, but I think it really depends on the individual rats' personalities. I have had some experience with shy rats, and I realize it just takes a lot of love and patience.

One of the best ways to bond with shy rats is to feed them liquid treats, like mushed bananas, baby food, or yogurt. If you put some on your finger or a spoon and offer it to the rats, they can't take it and run away, and they'll sit near you while they eat. This helps them get used to you and trust you more.

Whenever you walk by the cage, offer them treats and talk to them in a calm, encouraging voice. This will help them get used to you and learn to associate you with treats and good experiences.

When you interact with them, try resting your hand in the cage when your rats are active and let them come to you. This way, they aren't forced to interact with you, and they feel like they have more control of the situation. I wouldn't try to pick them up until they are readily eating out of your hand and comfortable eating near you. Rats only eat when they feel safe and comfortable. Once they are eating near your hand, you can start picking them up. Make sure you use both hands and fully support their bodies so that they feel more secure. They may not like it at first, but be sure to talk to them encouragingly and offer plenty of treats. Take it slow, and return them to their cage after a couple minutes, slowly building up the amount of time they are out. They will soon realize that being picked up and held is not dangerous and they will learn to associate it with positive experiences and treats. Positive experiences with humans is the key to getting shy rats to trust you more.

I hope that helps!

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
There are a lot of different philosophies on getting shy rats to trust you, but I think it really depends on the individual rats' personalities. I have had some experience with shy rats, and I realize it just takes a lot of love and patience.

One of the best ways to bond with shy rats is to feed them liquid treats, like mushed bananas, baby food, or yogurt. If you put some on your finger or a spoon and offer it to the rats, they can't take it and run away, and they'll sit near you while they eat. This helps them get used to you and trust you more.

Whenever you walk by the cage, offer them treats and talk to them in a calm, encouraging voice. This will help them get used to you and learn to associate you with treats and good experiences.

When you interact with them, try resting your hand in the cage when your rats are active and let them come to you. This way, they aren't forced to interact with you, and they feel like they have more control of the situation. I wouldn't try to pick them up until they are readily eating out of your hand and comfortable eating near you. Rats only eat when they feel safe and comfortable. Once they are eating near your hand, you can start picking them up. Make sure you use both hands and fully support their bodies so that they feel more secure. They may not like it at first, but be sure to talk to them encouragingly and offer plenty of treats. Take it slow, and return them to their cage after a couple minutes, slowly building up the amount of time they are out. They will soon realize that being picked up and held is not dangerous and they will learn to associate it with positive experiences and treats. Positive experiences with humans is the key to getting shy rats to trust you more.

I hope that helps!

I hope that helps!
Thankyou so much! i will try it out :))

1 - 4 of 4 Posts