Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
so I got a new rat as a graduation present two days ago (I had one rat which always made me sad that she is alone but I never had the money for a second rat and she was given to me as well) and I was so happy to get a second baby!
however, I worry so much about her. My other rat is totally ignoring her, she showed interest the first day but now she is totally ignoring the new rat. The new baby is just ... sitting in a corner and not moving.
I thought it might be the stress?She only comes out at night but everytime she hears Me or my cousin talk she flees into the corner of the cage again and sits there. I‘m so worried because I haven’t seen her drink and I wanted to pick her up and see if something is wrong but she isn’t really reacting to any of my movements
Is she sick? i don’t know where the guy that got me the rat got it from it might be just a pet shop. I feel so sad and sorry idk what to do if she dies because the stress or any sickness, should I take her to the vet? Wait? Is she just stressed and will eventually warm up?
my other rat is behaving like the new one doesn’t even exsist which is kind of odd but I‘ll take it I guess idk

i really need advice so thank you in advance!!!

·
Super Moderator
115 Posts
Whats the ages?
It is difficult introducing two lone rats, it would have been easier if you had gotten a pair that already know each other, they might just need some time and some snacks

What do you mean you dont know where he got it from?? Where you get your pets is very important..you should find out
i'm sorry but you should never keep a rat alone it is cruel. If you cant afford a second rat you cant afford the vet so probably shouldnt have pets.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my Older one is about 7 months old, the other one maybe half of that? She is pretty small still.
He probably got it from the pet shop. There aren’t any breeders nearby.
Saying that to me is kind of rude tho I cared so much about my other rat so she won’t be alone :/ I know it wasn’t the best but it kind of happened and she is fine. She is healthy and very curious and active and doesn’t really show any bad behavior. I just graduated I‘m getting a job soon to give my pets the best life possible because my rats aren’t the only animals I have.
i simply just asked for advice on my new rat since her behavior is really worrisome :/ I‘m still waiting for her to come out of the hiding spot but she doesn’t. If that goes on I‘m going to the vet with her I just dont want to panic immediately.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I don't know about the health part, but if it is a behavioral problem then you should focus on getting her used to your presence, movement, and sound. To bond with her she needs to be able to associate you with good things. When you pass her cage drop a treat in, spend time by the cage talking and moving things around the cage. If she hides in the corner, in a box, or freezes, either wait until she comes out or try to lure her out with treats. If she's really frightened and won't even explore the cage, then take the time to lure her to the cage door with a licking treat on a spoon, it may take time and patience but it will eventually show her that nothing will happen to her. The two ways to give treats are either with a licking treat on your hand which will force the rat to stay with you to eat the treat, and will also get her used to your skin and proximity, or you can give tiny bits of treats which will force her to keep coming back quickly for more.

·
Super Moderator
115 Posts
my Older one is about 7 months old, the other one maybe half of that? She is pretty small still.
He probably got it from the pet shop. There aren’t any breeders nearby.
Saying that to me is kind of rude tho I cared so much about my other rat so she won’t be alone :/ I know it wasn’t the best but it kind of happened and she is fine. She is healthy and very curious and active and doesn’t really show any bad behavior. I just graduated I‘m getting a job soon to give my pets the best life possible because my rats aren’t the only animals I have.
i simply just asked for advice on my new rat since her behavior is really worrisome :/ I‘m still waiting for her to come out of the hiding spot but she doesn’t. If that goes on I‘m going to the vet with her I just dont want to panic immediately.
I'm sorry I just really love rats and it worries me when people come on here saying they cant afford this or that as vet bills can be very expensive and need budgeting for 100%

What trust training methods have you been using?

Theres a lot of good videos online :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts