Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just gotten home from bringing my two girls to the vet today. I've them for about 3 weeks and over the past few days one of them, Mischief, had developed a sort of wheezing/honking noise. She usually makes the sound in the evening and it's timed to her breathing. When she gets excited, sniffs something rigorously, or is running around she would make the noise. This morning when I brought her in she didn't make any of the sounds for the vet and he said her lungs sounded good. He also commented how lively she is. About the only thing he could find was the possibility of a very light discharge. Regardless, he did end up prescribing her Baytril (spelling?) for twice a day for ten days.

Has anyone else had this experience? I'm definitely going to stick to the regimine but I'm curious if anyone else has had their rat act like this. The only other thing I could think of is that it would be some sort of hiccup that last off and on for a week, but it was too consistent to be that.

Also, are vets always non-personal? The vet we saw was a nice enough guy but I guess I expected what I usually see on TV or in movies. He didn't address either of them by name and was very professional and clinical about it. He also seemed to take my word for things over what he was seeing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
A lot of my baby girls have had this. They may just be sneezy from being in a new environment. If it doesn't clear up I recommend getting some amoxicillin and putting it in their water. Any of mine who had a hard time breathing cleared up by having antibiotics in their water.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have had this EXACT experience. When I first got my boys, Checkers was making clucking sounds every time he got excited. I mean clucking exactly like a chicken. I didn't know much about rats back then, so I gave it a few days. He ended up with a severe Myro flare up and had to be on Baytril for 2 weeks before it cleared up. Of course when I took him into the vet he completely stopped making any noise and his lungs sounded clear! The vet took my word on it and gave me the prescription anyway.

I don't know if these are your first rats or not, so just in case you didn't know, I'll go ahead and say this. Rats are notorious for respiratory infections. It's usually caused by Mycoplasma, which is chronic and almost all fancy rats are infected (actually they are often born with it). They get flare ups where they start sneezing and wheezing and get an upper or lower resp. infection if it goes untreated. It will turn into pneumonia, scar their lungs and can be fatal. Your rats were prescribed Baytril which is the most common antibiotic along with Doxycycline. The treatment will put it into remission and hopefully they won't have to deal with it again!

But as Parrot said, it COULD be "new home sneezes" or just plain old allergies. Rats really do get allergies and can be very sensitive to dust. What bedding are they on? Is it CareFresh, Kaytee, or anything else dusty? Even if it says "dust free" it still has dust. If they have chronic breathing issues you'll want to switch them over to paper pellet litter like Yesterday's News, or just use fleece liners. You can also get an air purifier which helps. But in this case I am 99% sure your girl has Myco.

With the vets, yeah, I've had a few that were kind of impersonal. But they rely on you to tell them the symptoms. Animals almost always act differently when you take them to the vet. They get nervous, stressed, maybe even terrified, and they can mask their problems very well. Some animals like cats will almost never show that they're in pain, they can have liver cancer and not even show symptoms. So the vet relies on you to tell them the symptoms. You're the one who sees the animal at home in its normal environment, and you can tell if something is amiss. Then they can run tests or xrays if necessary. But rats get resp. infections so commonly, they don't do tests for it aside from listening to the lungs. If you feel your vet is being rude or uncaring, however, feel free to switch. You should always feel comfortable about whoever is taking care of your pets!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I wouldnt put anything in the water because then they might not like the taste and it will dicourage them from drinking. And the dosage might not be right because water bottles can leak

1 - 5 of 5 Posts