Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does this wound look like to you? It is round and raised like a volcano. The inside of this circular growth is black and off white. The growth is extremely hard and is on the surface of the skin, not below.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
That definately looks like a burst and dried abscess to me! It does not look like "reactive skin". I wish I could show you pictures of my rat's abcesses, but I never took any. If it's still soft you may be able to clean it yourself, but if it's hard it might be a good idea to have the vet do it.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How does the vet clean it? It is very hard and can't be scraped off. If I soak it my rat will get pissed.

·
Registered
455 Posts
How does the vet clean it? It is very hard and can't be scraped off. If I soak it my rat will get pissed.
Sorry, but you gotta soak it. If your rat gets pissed, sucks to be them. Would you let a child have something like that on their body and not look after it just cuz they didn't like it?

Sorry if that came across kind of angry sounding, that's not how I meant it! A vet will soak it with a warm sponge and peel the scab off, then rinse it with saline. You can do that at home, so I'd suggest watching some abcess cleaning videos and trying to do it yourself.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Also, sorta unrelated, but those orange specks in their fur looks kinda like lice. I'd say get that checked out if you haven't already :)

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The orange specks are buck grease.

Okay, I'll try to soak it and watch abcess videos. Are there any 'dried out abcess' videos? It's hard to find any information on them.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: Last night I soaked my rat to get the skin lesion to soften and dug some of the material out. It looked a little better today and I did the same thing. The 'swollen ring' around the gunk is now gone, but now there is a hole there and raw tissue. The area has been rinsed with saline and I will rinse it twice per day.

Thanks to all the advice received. I don't know why my vet didn't' recognize this for what it was!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Photo Update: Here is what the lesion looks like now (the fur was shaved around it):
splinterhealing.jpg

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
It looks way better. It should heal if you keep it clean.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts