Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Posted in the newbie corner, since I am, in fact, a newbie.)

Just a general question and not urgent, since I don't currently have any rats. But could anyone give me an estimate of of vet costs, monthly? I live in the midwestern USA. Depending on where I get my rats, I'd probably want to take them in soon after so I could make sure all was a-ok, and then for any prevailing issues after that. I'd basically want someone I could call about anything that might be an issue. I just want a guess on how much it would run me monthly. Thoughts?

·
Registered
918 Posts
Hey welcome to the forum!

I can't really say how much vets cost (since I'm currently working on getting rats myself), but if you get healthy rats it shouldn't be a monthly visit. Usually at the end of their lives is when it's the most expensive. I came across this post in Reddit about this person's documented costs: https://www.reddit.com/r/RATS/comments/3o1mei/the_financial_cost_of_pet_rats/ Please let me know if you aren't able to see it.

It's actually quite handy to give it a look, and you'll see a cost up spike around the time when the rat passes.

However in the US, vet costs vary by a lot. I think other members here can get into better detail for you

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, I didn't even think to check Reddit. Funny, since I use it as a multipurpose forum. That post is really helpful - extremely well documented! I will say I'm not looking into rats because they're a "cheap substitute" for a cat or dog; however, I don't have the space for a roam-the-house animal. I do, on the other hand, have room for a large rat cage. It makes sense that fees would increase when the creature's life is coming to an end. Thanks for your reply! Definitely a helpful link.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Vets are so widely different from place to place it is kindof strange. But it makes it really hard to give estimates. I'd just call around vets in your area and ask.

When I was in Texas it was $85 just to see the rats, in NY in one spot it was $35 for a visit. Crazy differences. I have read alot of posts in groups and it is really just all over the board.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I was thinking vets prices are different from place to place in Germany. However after asking my boyfriend he told me that the vet prices are controlled all over here. Which I'm not sure is a good thing or bad thing yet, I'll just have to see.

It's good that you know that they aren't necessarily a cheap pet. Another place to check for vet prices is a veterinary college, sometimes it's much cheaper and the students there are pretty fresh in their knowledge.

·
Registered
365 Posts
As said above, it's so hard to give an estimate cause they vary so much. To give you an idea my home town vet wanted to charge $1000 for a abscess removal but when I went out of town it only cost $140 which still seems expensive but is much less than $1000. Like moonkissed suggested I'd say call vets in the area to get a price estimate. Things to ask for prices on are vet visitation fees, respiratory infections medication approx fee and if you're planning on girls tumor removal costs. Maybe even ask about abscess removal costs as that is a little common but like was said above rats don't cost much until they're nearing the end of their lives. You may get the occasional rat with a respiratory infection at a young age but other than that you should be okay until they hit at least two years old. also it so depends on the rat. My one girl never cost me a penny in vet fees because she was super healthy up until hours before her death when it was too late to get vet help because she had a ruptured internal blood cell or something like that can't exactly remember the name now. But basically she died so sudden and randomly that it all happened so fast there was nothing to do but sit with her while she died. But on average any rat that's lived over two years at my house has cost me between $100-200 total in vet fees. Which is still much cheaper than my cats lifetime accumulated vet fees for spaying and shots.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I was going to say the same thing liesel. Sometimes you luck out and have a rat with no illnesses. When I had my two rats years ago, Pinky had never needed to go to the vet and her sister Dragon had to go to the vet once for a tumor removal. We lucked out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts