Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today when I got back from class I noticed one of my new boys had a bad cut on his testicles, it looks like insides are coming out. It looks really bad, but it doesn't seem to be bothering him, hes running around and acting normal. I managed to get an emergency vet appointment at 6:15 tonight. I know its short notice but does anyone have advice on what i should ask the vet? Any medications I should not allow? Thanks

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Is he in with new cagemates? Males often bite the testicles in aggression. :( How long is the slice? He'll probably need stitches (make sure they are dissolvable or that he uses surgical glue).
Baytril is fine for prevention of infection.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So we went to the vet, everyone was very nice and gave Jenner a rub between the ears. The vet looked at him and said he would heal it himself without stitches and gave me amoxicillin to give twice a day for a week. In my opinion the cut is very open and looks like it needs stitches. How bad a cut can a rat heal *on his own*? Also she told me I could mix the meds in with a treat, like a piece of bread, BUT he doesn't really eat treats.. just blocks, I couldn't even get him to eat chicken.

She also told me that once I separated Jenner from the other boys I could never put them back together because they would fight. Is that actually true?

-Alecia

edited for formating

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
You'd be surprised what rats can heal... Anything under/around an inch... without stiches...

No, not true.

Perry and Bacardi got Guinness a good one on the back when we got him. He spent a week or two in 'hospital' cage and then was re-introduced. Flawless, they accepted him. 'course, with Puck and Jack, they didn't really like or accept, as many times as I've tried.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts