Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya,
I've seen on a few threads about ratties lumps and illnessess that are costing a fortune, its the same here in the uk.
Ive had rats for 18 years and spent hundeds and hundeds of pounds on treatment as im sure most of you will agree that any rat at some point will need vet treatment at some point in its life, ive found abcessess and tumors are the biggest illness next to myco.. ive never had anything treated that cost me less than £30 and that was cheap!
Anyhow... to the point...instead of landing up with a lump sum how about pre paying your vet something like £5 month or 10-15 dollars a month to build up a balance on your vet account, with what you have on your account can be taken off your vet bill when you need it and it really really helps!...
And will ratties your always always gonna need it!...

·
Registered
482 Posts
That's a REALLY good idea, seriously. I'm in London, does every vet have that kind of service?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i think they do..... I mean, what vet is gonna turn down you pre paying for treatment. they'd be mad!
Id speak to the receptionist/nurse and ask because its worth while.
The nurse suggested it to me when i had to take my dog down for a cough and phantom preg and the vet suggested having her spayed in the future,
I told her I couldnt afford it in one go so she said that I could have a plus balance account by paying so much a month then whenever treatment was needed they would take it off the bill..
If you live close to your vets as I do its so easy to pop in with £2.50 a week [which hardly anyone would notice missing from the weekly budget, bet I spend double that on sweeties :) ] and it mounts up very quick.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually thats a good idea for my diet!!!!... everytime I go to buy a choccy bar i'll put the money in a pet fund pot instead and add it to the rattie vet account...jeez i'd be well in credit within a month!!!!!!!! lol

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
It's a very good idea. I don't know whether my vets allow you to build up an account like that - but they are very good at realising when you've overpaid a bill and will happily add credit to for your next bill (or refund)

I have a 'savings' account for my rats, which I add to every week. When it comes to emergencies etc, it's proved very helpful.

For UK peeps - I also make sure that I DON'T touch that money, I've opened it with another bank (meaning internet transfers have clearing time of 3/5 days meaning no tempting instant access to cash!) and have given my mum the card - on strict instructions to ONLY give it to me when I go to the vets

1 - 5 of 5 Posts