Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a reply from the vet I'm looking at. I had asked for price quotes for rat spays and neuters, tumor rmeovals and basic office visits. Here's the reply:

"Office visits are $38.50, spay os $130-$140, neuter is $75, tumor removal price would be determined after exam. These prices are approximate"

The spay pricing just seemed off the wall.

Do these prices seem abnormal? I estimated the spay be more expensive than neuter, but darn that's a lot. xD

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Those prices are completely normal. Spays are usually always over $100, and neuters are usually right under. I've heard of some exotics vets charging over $200 for a spay, and even that's not unheard of, honestly.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well at least I'll be able to have the boys neutered(Ed first ! xD) soon.

Yay for summer jobs. :3

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
yeah that's about right. the bigger the animal or the older it is, they usually charge more as well, since there is increased liklihood of complications. i completely butchered that word. i think. it just looks horrendous to me... o_O

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OnlyOno said:
yeah that's about right. the bigger the animal or the older it is, they usually charge more as well, since there is increased liklihood of complications. i completely butchered that word. i think. it just looks horrendous to me... o_O
"increased likelihood of complications"

Had most of it right :3

·
Registered
189 Posts
I think they may actually charge more for smaller animals, OnlyOno, because the area you're working with is so much more delicate.

The prices for neutering/spaying are reasonable. It's a complicated surgery. it's all pretty reasonable really. You just have to think about the length of time these people went to school for what they're doing now, and ask yourself how many people in this world can render an animal infertile.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wench said:
and ask yourself how many people in this world can render an animal infertile.
LMAO.....oh god....you'd be surised how many neuterers there are out there....XD

·
Registered
106 Posts
That is cheap IMO.

I was quoted $600 for a rat spay. And no I'm not kidding. (I opted against, as that is ridiculous and a lump removal is $300.)

I pay more for a neuter than your quote for a spay....

I know everything is in the perception of where you live, etc. But if I had a vet giving me those kind of prices here I could afford to have a lot more rats!!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
OMG! I wonder how much my vet charges for a spay/neuter? Well I hopefully won't need any neuters, none of my boys seem agressive but we will see. Still really need to work on introduceing Bert to my current dasterly duo.

But my vet visit for the first one is $48, the second rat is $40. Follow up visits are $25. X-rays are $70 and my Baytril was $38 for two boys, I don't know how many days are in there. She just said give it to them till it runs out >_>

Hrm what else, overnights are $8/rat (includes food), neubulisers are $25/ neubulisation, fluids are $10.... that's what I remember D:

·
Registered
981 Posts
I figure this is a better place to put this than my original post where I asked a similar question on vet prices.

I just got my breakdown of vet prices in the mail, let me know if you guys think they are reasonable (All in American Dollars, naturally):

For Blanche and Ratlas, who weren't seriously ill, it was $27.50 (per rat) for what is listed as a "recheck"

For Poopsmith, who was pretty sick, it comes to this:
Exam - $43.50
3 subcutaneous fluid needles (Which I never used, but that's another point) - $15.00
4 Baytril syringes (Total of 4 mL) - $72.00

What do you guys think? I'm deciding if this vet would be my "regular" vet or not. The Baytril seems a bit high, but I have no frame of reference to work off of. Essentially 1 mL is enough to give 1 rat twice a day for 5 days (So it'd come down to $18 per mL)

·
Registered
106 Posts
The exam is reasonable but the Baytril seems high to me.

I *just* threw out my vet bills (didn't want to be reminded of them anymore! LOL) but I pay less than $10CDN per ml? So about $8US. $72 for three weeks of Baytril does seem ridiculous. It costs me $30CDN for a 30 day supply for a female rat! More for a larger male.

I would call around to other vets in your area and get some quotes.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I think medication overseas is cheaper to obtain. America's medication is higher in prices in order for the drug companies to gouge the insurance companies and I think there are no laws against the prices being outrageous here. So yeah, medication is going to be more expensive for Americans than other countries.

I paid $35 for my Baytril, 2 rats for 1 weeks worth of Baytril.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
CJ - everything besides the Baytril looks normal. $72 for that amount of Baytril is INSANE. I can get a whole bottle of Baytril for $15-$20, and that lasts at least a couple weeks with 12 rats!

·
Registered
981 Posts
Thanks everyone! In the future, I'll call around and see what others charge. I wish I could just get Baytril in stores, as so far that's all I've needed to keep my rats healthy.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Jedd's pigeon supply is the only place I know of to get erthromycin (generic Baytril) and doxycycline w/o a prescription, but they've been out of stock for ages. I've got a girl who is probably going to need to be on Baytril for life, and with the prices my vet charges for Baytril (~$50/bottle for 4 adults w/ 3-4ml ea, 4 babies getting only 1.5ml --- for 2 weeks) I need to find a cheaper alternative.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Erythromycin is NOT Baytril! Not even close.

Enrofloxacin is Baytril. Two totally different drugs, that work two totally different ways.

I just wanted to clarify that so no one goes out and buys erythromycin!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
With a vet prescription you could buy Baytril online. Some vets won't write prescriptions as they make money off selling the medicine as well so don't be surprised if they decline. Still good to ask.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts