Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to take my rats to school tomorrow because I am in a veterinarian administrative course. Some people are sick with some colds, I am just wondering what ones can make my rats sick, and the name they are commonly known by and how long it can be contagious for them to get. Thanks, If there are any that can get my rats sick I won't be taking them.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Strep throat is the only one I know.

If you are in a program with animals on campus, however, any one could be carrying dangerous and hidden diseases like SDA or Sendai from being in the same room with infected animals/carriers.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I think you're OK if it's just the cold. Those viruses are pretty host-specific.

·
Registered
219 Posts
It's actually strep pneumonia (Streptococcus pneumoniae) not strep throat (Streptococcus pyogenes) that humans can pass to rats. Strep pneumonia is very rough, a person would be much more ill than one with strep throat. It is also very rough on rats and usually ends in death.
Humans can also pass ringworm to rats.
Colds can't be passed, but technically someone could have early stage strep pneumonia and not know that it isn't just a cold.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts