Rat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My younger male rat has always chirped more than my other, ever since I got him. He doesn't seem to be distressed, more so like he does it when content, such as snuggled up/sleeping, or getting attention. It's not excessive, it's just my other rat has never really made a sound while my other seems to be talking my ear off sometimes! He is going for a general vet visit soon, but I don't think it is health related. Should I be concerned?

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
It's probably just his personality. My mama rat Caius always "spoke" - whether it was about being pet, groomed, picked up, sat on, anything. She always would have these little cheeps and chirps and squeaks. I swear I could tell what meant what.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He is still sort of a baby. He's got a baby face and is younger than my other rat. Could he just be being a young guy?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's probably just his personality. My mama rat Caius always "spoke" - whether it was about being pet, groomed, picked up, sat on, anything. She always would have these little cheeps and chirps and squeaks. I swear I could tell what meant what.
Ah! I thought it might have something to do with his personality. I did name him mister chuckles after his little tendency to chirp. I have also noticed sometimes he does it to get out of his cage :O

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Yeah; rats are really smart and if they notice a link between things they'll train their humans well. "If I do this, I get out" lol.

·
Registered
265 Posts
You can usually have pretty good instincts about your pets and what is a distressed sound vs. not. such as different squeaking. my alpha boy and girl who wants to be alpha and is currently trying to take over get into little dominance fights and i can tell what squeaks are no big deal and what are distress calls and you better get your butt over there and break it up. You can trust yourself if you feel like the sounds he is making is just his goofy little personality or if he is upset or injured. A red flag will go off if necessary. Rats make several different little noises like bruxing and little chirping sounds, squeaks, etc. and a lot of them tend to be happy sounds. My boy is very vocal when he is playing with me cuz he is very happy at that time. Some are vocal and some aren't. You just prob got a goofball who will be very fun to work with.

·
Registered
123 Posts
My girl Charlotte chirps a lot when she is happy, as well as bruxing all the time (she is doing it right now). Her breeder says that she comes from a line of "talkers". So I'm sure it's just normal for your boy. :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've noticed that Amadeus makes little clicky noises (like cartoon squirrels) when he is content. He especially does it when my face is very close to his, and I think it may be in imitation of the sounds I make when I look at him, because I tend to make that sound when I am overwhelmed by his cuteness. Is that possible? Do rats normally imitate their humans' behavior and sounds like that?

·
Registered
270 Posts
One of my girls suddenly became a squeaker when she entered adulthood. She squeaks sometimes when touched, when lifted, even when other rats approach her without physical contact. For a little while I was worried there might be some health issue, something bothering her from touch, but it's nothing like that. I understand it to be a sign of discontent, as if saying "Leave me alone", or a preemptive defensive action towards other rats. But there are other times when she will let me pet her, or snuggle inside my jacket, and then bruxes happily.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
I've noticed that Amadeus makes little clicky noises (like cartoon squirrels) when he is content. He especially does it when my face is very close to his, and I think it may be in imitation of the sounds I make when I look at him, because I tend to make that sound when I am overwhelmed by his cuteness. Is that possible? Do rats normally imitate their humans' behavior and sounds like that?
Behavior, maybe, but they really can't imitate our sounds. If you think about it, over half of their vocal range is outside of our hearing range (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-admRGFVNM cuteness also shout out to my alma mater). What you may be hearing (and soon seeing boggling!) is bruxing (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6U4E7ONGFD0)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts