Rat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My two girls have lived together all their life. They're rescues so i don't know much about them except for this last month I've had them. Roxy is smaller and a bit of a bully. Cleo is larger and can hold her own when she needs to. However...

My question is about squeeking. I've read in some places that their rats make noise all the time. Others say theirs only make noise when something is really wrong. So far I've heard my girls squeek loudly when they got a foot trapped in the cage door and then ther are the little pips they make when one is grooming the other. It's not anything loud or terribly frightening sounding. Just little pips here and there. I'm slightly concerned by the grooming but not sure if it's just me being anxious and unsure about my new pets behavior. Most often it's Roxy grooming Cleo on the head or neck but sometimes the back/body or belly. Every now and then I'll see it the other way around with Cleo on top but not often.

What do the experienced rat parents think? Am I being overly worried about nothing?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Those little grooming squeaks are perfectly normal. Unless you happen to see one of them getting particularly rough with the other, I wouldn't worry. Sometimes they may protest because maybe they don't feel like being groomed at that moment but the "groomer" is insisting on it. Some rats are just more vocal than others. I have one girl who seems to squeak at every little thing. She's just more of a talker. I have one girl who I lovingly call "the grooming nazi" because she literally goes around and grooms all 3 of her sisters by holding them down and cleaning them from head to toe whether they want it or not! She's also the alpha of the group so maybe this is her way of keeping everyone in line. I'm not sure. I've been meaning to do more reading on rat hierarchies.

Basically, I would say that the only times you should be worried and investigate right away is if your girls squeaks become loud or more urgent which could signal a problem. Otherwise just enjoy their sweet little voices.

·
Registered
46 Posts
When the squeaks turn into screams or screeches, or you see blood, its time to worry. My girls are always shouting at each other during grooming, playtime, boxing, etc. They will even squeak quite loudly at me if I try to take away a treat that they are enjoying (even if I haven't touched them). The squeaking while grooming is normal, it can actually be quite comical to watch one pin down the other and "power groom" them all over. Doesn't sound like you have anything to worry about :)

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the comments ladies. This makes me feel a lot better. I want to do right by these adorable creatures. Although I've had small pets in the past, I'm aware that they are all just enough different that you can't always go with your instinct. Rats are all new to me and I'm being an overprotective parent I think!

I have one girl who I lovingly call "the grooming nazi" because she literally goes around and grooms all 3 of her sisters by holding them down and cleaning them from head to toe whether they want it or not!
Haha. I may steal that! I think Roxy is my "grooming nazi". That's what she does to Cleo on a regular basis. Most times Cleo just lays there and takes it with occasional pips other times she is pushying roxy's head away so she can scamper away. At which point Roxy either gives chase to try again or plans another ambush for later! I'm relatively sure that Cleo is big enough to just give Roxy a shove if she is really annoyed by the behavior but I worry like any concerned mom. Although there's been a bit of tussling in the past there wasn't any totally loud scary squealing going on so I'm hoping this is just how my girls roll.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yeah, I used to worry a bit about my Heaven and her squeaking, because she literally squeaks all the time. Whenever she gets groomed, whenever she is wrestling with another one of my girls, or if you even touch her in a certain spot. I used to think maybe something was hurting and she didn't want it to get touched by me or another rat, but I'm positive she is okay. No limping or screaming, just squeaking. I always think of her squeaking as a way of yelling at me or my other girls, haha.

Best of luck to you and your girls!

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'm new to having rats but I'm seeing that some rats just squeak a lot more than others. Usually my boys just squeak when they're wrestling and grooming. A couple of them squeak if they're surprised or very frustrated, but it'll only be one to two squeaks. However, my newest rat, Samantha, squeaks and squeals excessively when she's scared or nervous. It actually had me afraid she was hurting, but now we don't think so because she only does it when she's scared (like when she was anxious about being in a new home), and not when she's being held or in her cage. We were joking that she "needed to be oiled" because of all that squeaking.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Thanks for the comments ladies. This makes me feel a lot better. I want to do right by these adorable creatures. Although I've had small pets in the past, I'm aware that they are all just enough different that you can't always go with your instinct. Rats are all new to me and I'm being an overprotective parent I think!

Haha. I may steal that! I think Roxy is my "grooming nazi". That's what she does to Cleo on a regular basis. Most times Cleo just lays there and takes it with occasional pips other times she is pushying roxy's head away so she can scamper away. At which point Roxy either gives chase to try again or plans another ambush for later! I'm relatively sure that Cleo is big enough to just give Roxy a shove if she is really annoyed by the behavior but I worry like any concerned mom. Although there's been a bit of tussling in the past there wasn't any totally loud scary squealing going on so I'm hoping this is just how my girls roll.
If you happen to be on Vine, look us up under SouthernRodents. I've got a ton of really cute and funny vines of my girls including Buffy, my grooming nazi, doing her thing. I just love my girls and really enjoy them and like to show all the cute things they do. If you are on Vine, be sure to say hello so I'll know it's you.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you happen to be on Vine, look us up under SouthernRodents. I've got a ton of really cute and funny vines of my girls including Buffy, my grooming nazi, doing her thing. I just love my girls and really enjoy them and like to show all the cute things they do. If you are on Vine, be sure to say hello so I'll know it's you.
Aww no I hadn't heard of Vine until just now. I'll look into it. I do use Instagram which I'm assuming is something similar just with pictures. Thanks for the invite though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.