Rat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*deep breath* ok, so its the last stretch before exams in university and all the assignments and last mid terms are coming due. i have so much to do at scool i barely have time to sleep or eat let alone be with my son and my animals. somehow i'm managing though the state of the house is in steady decline...

in anycase i don't need anymore stress or extra responibilties. yet, of course, murphy's law right. i had everyone out last night on the couch with me. all 11. i know for sure at least 9 are sick, possibly 2 more but i'm not sure if it was excited noises or sick noises (in early stages they can be very similar). and of course the other one has not just one lump but 2. i was hoping it was an abcess but it has not be responding properly to treatment.

i know what to do, in the morning i'll be making the appointment to take them in. i may just weight them at home though and ask for baytril. they all live in the same cage anyway so its likely that the ones that aren't showing signs are just hiding it better anyway. if i understand medicine right the dosage is based on weight and i have the range between all of them. i'll definately take kakushi in to have the lumps looked at though.

*sighs and shakes head* i just did not need this on top of everything else right now. i don't know how i'm going to work getting them all in i end up having to take them all. or even how i'm going to find time. i will make it of course but its certainly going to be a strain.

eh gawds... medicating 11 rats... sometimes it took half an hour just getting one done...

well i guess i could certainly use any rat medicating advice. what's worked best for you to make them take the medication nice and easy? is there a quick way to get 11 medicated and still give me enough time to sleep that night? when you only have to deal with one its not normally that big a deal if it takes a little while but if all 11 take a while to do... *sighs* i really hate murphy's law....

·
Registered
520 Posts
V.A.L. syrup has always saved my life when it comes to giving meds. My rats suck it out of the syringe. Your vet should have it...

·
Registered
730 Posts
I have found mixing the baytril with some gatorade and baby pablum makes it a fun treat for them. They gobble it right down and never are any the wiser to how good it really was for them.

And clue what it could be? I've had rats with URIs before, but never had any other rats affected by it.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
What are the symptoms Twitch? Is it possible its the change of the season and they need a humidifier run to help the sneezes abate?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Twitch - I always recommend taking one (the "worst") in, and letting the vet get a good look first. then, you can dose the rest. That's how we do it with our rescue vet, anyhow. I think it's best to get a for-sure, "This is what we're dealing with," before dosing. Otherwise, you may dose one AB and actually need another (which is just another expense, and more time taken before treatment, and we all know how unneeded AB's affect rats). Totally just my 2 cents. :)

I hope it's something benign, like lilspaz68's suggestion. It could be the season change/heat being turned on, etc.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i really hope its just the season but the ones making noises are making those sort of grunting/ snuffling piggy noises like they do when they have a URI. three (sweetipie, stewart and tween) of them are really bad with it, sweetipie even has heavier breathing. the other 6 that i heard the same sounds from were not making them as consistently, nor were they as loud. then like i said, the other 2 may just have been excited noises. they sneezed rather then made many grunty noises and they seemed to do it mostly when they are active and not when they were cuddled in the bookshelf. the other 6 also were not making any noises when they were settled down in the bookshelf but those first 3, it didn't make mush difference. and of course kakushi just has the lumps.

i don't think its impossible for a few of them to have the same URI though. afterall, the vets do warn about separating to reduce chances of transmission. and where they are all living together, drinking from the same bottle and sleeping together i would imagine it would be very easy to transmit to others.

i do have another question though. where sweetipie is a hairless and has a higher metabolism would she need a different medication? would the medication work out of her system faster then the furred babies?

i'll call my vet after next class and see what i should do. whether she wants to see all of them or just the worst ones or what. they're pretty good about things so they will work with me so i can keep costs low but get effective treatment. having their weights beforehand would be helpful in any case though so i will get that done at home before anyone goes to the vet anyway.

thanks for the advice and concern. to those that offered a mixture, what is your ratio? i don't want to mix up too much that they don't eat all of it but not enough either that they still taste the med and not eat it.

sparker: what is V.A.L.? ust incase its under i different brand name here in canada.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
My hairless girl "not herself" today as well. Kind of clicky sounding even though she is eating, drinking & moving around. I think the weather change could be it. We finally got a break from the heat & I had two sliding glass doors open to let the breeze in on Sunday. I didn't open the slider in the room where they are, in fact we are rearranging that room before we do because we don't want their cage anywhere near the opening. Maybe it was the extra humidity because we didn't run the AC that affected her. It is plesant outside today but the air was a bit thick so I have the air running again today.

I tried to separate her & she completely freaked out so I figure that could cause more stress & more harm than leaving her in with the other girls. I have 68mg baytril tabs on hand so I may make a batch of peanut butter balls tonight if she still sounds yucky.

I always get a bit stressed when it comes to her because of the fact she is hairless because they are so sensitive in regards to their respiratory system (among other things). The littlest things seems to cause them sniffle up.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i called the vet. she is going to leave it up to my judgement on their need of the medication but she is giving me enough for everyone. i will be taking kakushi in thursday night to have her lumps looked at. i'm still hoping for an abcess that just needs a little help getting rid of it all. see the lumps keep changing sizes. they will actually shrink on their own but they don't completely go away and they keep getting big again (nothing so big that it impedes movement or anything just bigger then when they shrunk). a double lumpectomy is going to crash my can. i think i'll be able to afford and where i'm just a loyal customer they may allow a payment plan to make it easier for me but we'll see. i'm not going to get myself worked up over something i don't even know is going to happen, least not yet anyway.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sweetipie is still snorting and snuffling. though the others seem to be clearing up some. they are all still very active and attentive. i'm really starting to think that maybe i was just under too much stress with school and was looking for bad things to start happening. though i'm sure sweetipie will need the medication i'm beginning to doubt if others will need it.

the lump directly under kakushi's elbow seems to have nearly completely gone again. the one closer to the pelvis has gotten bigger but is very squishy. i'm also really hoping that the lumps on kakushi are just stubborn abcesses. they keep changing size so the only thing i can think of to explain that is that her body fights the infection then the infection gets the better then her body fights it again.

in any case we will find out about it tomorrow. and as it turns out i will have to bring them all in. i went all over the city looking for a gram scale and could not for the life of me find even one. with a cranky kid in tow and not enough sleep the night before, this was not a fun experience. i'll call the vet in the morning at let her know i will need to use her scales. i don't think she'll charge me for that.

i will post and let everyone know how the vet appointment goes tomorrow night. the appointment isn't until 6:15 anyway.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i saw your post in the bridge. i'm very sorry for your loss

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
just got back from the vet. got the meds. and kakushi has fat deposits. at least that's her best guess without doing an exploratory surgery. she's had the lumps for a while. they do decrease in size. they aren't affecting her habits or health. really, all they do is look ugly. so we're leaving them for now. if they get too big we'll remove them. otherwise she's just our lumpy girl.

but i got a weight on everyone. some of the results surprised me. turns out sweetipie is REALLY fat. she's not at large a rat as kakushi who is about the size of a smallish male but she weighs JUST as much!

these are teh weights in kg that i got. 450=1 pound

Violet 430g
Ink 250g
Stewart 510g (boy)
Bribery 450g (boy)
Kakushi 480g (female but small boy size)
Sweetipie 480g (average size hairless but a porker)
Twix 310g (adult but size of 5 mth old)
Tween 310g (adult but size of 5 mth old)
Sookie 280g
Babydoll 350g
Eyes 350g

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm going through the same thing right now, with one of my two. I've been wrestling with URIs for a while now, and while we've cleared up one of them, Boobers is still having a hard time, ad doesn't seem to be responding to treatment. :( We tried a new vet yesterday, just to get another opinion, but she agreed with the old one, and we're gonna go hard on the antibiotics for 30 days.

As for medicating them: I tried applesauce, I tried Babyfood... they were having none of it. So I broke off two incredibly tiny pieces of chocolate chip cookies, (no chocolate, just a pinky fingernail size of the cookie part) and used the dropper to saturate the cookie piece with their meds. The cookie took the meds NO problem, and the girls gobbled them right up... turned a half an hour attempt to get them to take their meds into "heres a treat". They didn't even leave a crumb, so I'm positive they got the full dose.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thank you for the trick, i will try that. i hope your rats are feeling better soon. ask about dexamethazone. a little while back i had a rat that i could just not make well. she was on 3 different antibiotics in the end. but when we tried that, oh my god the difference! i wish i had gotten to it a lot eariler. by the time i used it her body just couldn't pull itself out and get better, she died of a suspected heart attack. the heart had been made weak from all the stress of long URI.

however, once on dexamethazone he will have to stay on dexamethazone. its a steroid type if i remember correctly and they will become dependent on it. it does suppress the immune system too so he will have to have a low dose of antibiotics as well to boost it to proper levels. but, really, i thought we were going to have a long time with her because of that med. from certain we were going to lose her to having hope. it was really an amazing drug, and if nothing else worth the question to the vet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts