Rat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i was sitting on the couch with my girls, and i have a cardboard box where they can hide away in. Suddenly Peanut ran to me and came on to my shoulder and i heard her tail whipping against the sofa and it was like she got scared of something. Then she sat next to me and did it again, and looked at the corner where my christmas tree is standing ( maybe she got scared of it ? even though it is standing there for a week ;D )

Has anyone seen this behavior in rats ?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Mine do this when they're playing with my cat. It's often accompanied by a butt-wiggle and then a popcorn. So, I think it is mostly excitement, and some fear.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I just read on forum user Isamurat's website that tail-wagging is sometimes a sign of aggression, especially when accompanied by other aggressive body language like puffed up fur. This is from Isamurat's website:
Rats do not wag there tails in a friendly manner like dogs, in this they are more like cats where a swishing or wagging tail can be a warning sign. Aggressive rats will often whip there tail from side to side, coupled with fur fluffing up and an aggressive stance and a rat in this state should not be approached unless you have appropriate protection (a towel or thick gloves), though it is often best to leave them to calm down on there own (free of rats and humans alike). Sometimes, in contrast to this aggressive tail wagging, very excited rats can also wag there tail, but in this situation there body language will be much different with no fluffed up fur, the rat unable to keep still and a more forward open posture often bruxing manically too. This seems to be more a tail rattle (like a rattle snake) than a true swish).
Their whole page on rat behaviors is extremely fascinating: http://www.isamurats.co.uk/individual-rat-behaviours.html

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yeah, my boy Rex does this when he's really excited. It's like he can't contain himself and has sooo much energy that he just literally can't keep still :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh i think she was probably excited then, because she was very crazy when i got her out of the cage running from here to there like i have never seen her doing ;D

@crow I will definetely take a look on the website, thanks!

·
Registered
194 Posts
I noticed also when my female rats have been in heat they wag their tail and do a vibrating type of motion with their body. If you scratch near the base of their tail they will arch their back (naturally) as if they are being mated. Maybe that is the case? Or your girl is just really excited as the others have said! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts