Rat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about taking up jogging to get back in shape :wink: .
I live out in the middle of no where in a very very isolated rural part of Texas... Since there are not many "jogging buddies" out here, I was thinking of taking my rat with me for company once he makes a full recovery (recovering pneumonia). Is this a bad idea? Would the boucing be too stressful or uncomfortable? If I decided to walk with him, would a fanny pack suffice, or what kind of hands free carrying case could I use? I am afraid he could possible slip off my shoulder with that much movement? Any ideas, or should he not be a part of my excercise?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I would worry that he'd slip off, get lost, or that you'd run into a dog or something that would bother you and him... Plus you'd have to worry about him the whole time... I'd suggest headphones instead of the rat.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Portable CD players can't even make it through a good jog without skipping, I would not want to take a rat on a run.

How would you like to be shaken violently for an hour?

·
Registered
476 Posts
being shaken violently is the best way to get into shape though yashu! You get to pretend you're a can of paint at HomeDepot for an hour or two.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I definitely wouldn't take a rat jogging. If you're going for a walk, that would be okay, but jogging would be way too bouncy, even if you had a carrying case of some kind.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Invest in a paint shaker, and a wrecking crane, and a washer. Attach them all together, swing and run the paint shaker and the washer all at once from the cranes very tip.

If you think that's dangerous, imagine what rat's going through.

As for a fanny pack, do the same thing again, but put a garbage bag over your head.

Yeah, I don't think the whole idea is ... okay, I'm being mean, but honestly. It doesn't sound like a good idea for a small animal that can

A.) Very easily get hurt
B.) Very very easily get lost

·
Registered
192 Posts
Or just leave the rat home when you run? You have to tell yourself that you are the human, and the rat is the rat... he won't mind, trust me... he doesn't mind having some time to himself and his homies.

·
Registered
276 Posts
You can get MP3 players for low prices doesnt have to be an Ipod. CD's are only for ripping music to your MP3 players, lol yall are old farts... jk!

·
Registered
418 Posts
If you're just walking, you could toss him into a hoodie or something, that's what I sometimes do with my rat (when it's cooler out). I think a hawk or eagle could be brave enough to snatch him off your shoulder so I wouldn't do that. But I think running would be too stressful.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
i use a pouch purse when i take my rats for a walk in the hotter months and a hoodie when its a bit cooler, then i just leave them home where its warm in the winter. the pouch will bounce and swing a bit when i'm walking a bit fast so i wouldn't run with them if i didn't have to. i live in the city though so i don't have to worry so much about birds of prey. when i lived in the country i was a bit timid to let them go outside with me though because we had predator birds there. but walking in and of itself is good exercise so if you really want to take your rats with you just walk.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts