Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I posted a couple of nights ago when I joined, I just unoficially rescued 3 rats...2 females and a male. Two days later..the female is gracing us with lots of babies!

Here are the first pics:

So far there are 8 babies. I'm not sure if she's done yet or not. She is being a great mom and taking good care of them, which I am relieved about, the last couple of weeks have been SO stressful on the poor girl.

I will post lots of pics as they grow so keep checking back :lol:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Aaw they're so tiny! Have you thought about putting some nesting material in for mum and babies, or a nesting box? Fabric's normally better for nesting material than tissue. Ideally nothing string-y or with holes in, an old cut-up fleece maybe? Make sure you remember to give her plenty of protien, such as egg and dog food too, she's got a lot of mouths to feed :D

Thanks for keeping us all updated, i can't wait for more pics!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I gave her some nesting stuff last night...she made a nice nest in one corner but proceeded to not use it :p She insists on laying on the glass. The white stuff in there is half white carefresh and half brown. I know it's not ideal for babies but it's the only thing I could find on short notice :(

I did give her some chicken earlier...or I should say I tried, she is not very interested in food right now :(

I don't want to stress her out by trying to force things on her so I just left a small piece in there and if she eats it I'll put more in.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Aw bless her :D Well i guess mum knows best - at least it's there is she decides they need it! Carefresh should be okay, i don't know what else you should use but it'd be my bedding of choice - it's pretty soft and it's not going to get stuck anywhere. Kudos to you for staying so calm, i'd be flapping about all over the place!!!

I'm sure she'll give in and tear herself away from her babies when the yummy chicken smell gets too much to resist :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, it looks like the final count is 8. So a nice smallish litter!

I was a little worried about her because she absolutely refused to leave her babies for a second, even to eat or drink, so I moved her to the far corner of the cage and blocked her way back for a minute and then left her alone..and it seemed to snap her out of it. She just finished rebuilding her nest and ate a little too.

I could just sit and watch them for hours.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Yeah, she's a pretty one. I wonder what the dad looks like?

I love watching the babies grow. I've been present from birth to weaning on 3 litters now, and it's just such a cool process. My favorite part is when they get to the nibbly stage, and when you stick your hand in, they all attach themselves to it. Oh, and when they get to the uber-playful uncontainable stage. Ah, babies... makes me want to make friends with a breeder. ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lost one baby yesterday :( not sure what happened, he had a belly full of milk, I think he might have just crawled a little too far away from the nest and gotten too cold :( poor guy

But the others are doing well, getting big and fat :) I can't wait till they get some hair so I can see what colors we've got!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Aw, i'm sorry to hear you lost one :( hopefully the others will keep getting nice and fat though, and you'll have happy healthy babies when they get older :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I can't say I'm an expert at sexing them so young - but I did a quick check and it looks like 3 girls 4 boys.

I can't tell eye color yet, or coat color. At the moment their eyes all look the same! But they don't seem super dark, and I am thinking she had at least some with ruby eyes, so I think they just haven't started to really show through yet. But they are only 3 1/2 days so hopefully soon!
They crawl around like mad now when i take them out - they remind me of salamanders I used to catch as a kid!

The momma is getting better about me handling them. She's never tried to bite but I've tried not to give her a chance to! I used to have to pry her off the nest but now after I uncover it, she moves away and lets me check them out. But I feel so bad, she ends up building another HUGE nest, piling all the bedding from the cage on top of the babies and I have to dig them out when I want to look at them LOL
And then after I dig it up she goes and builds a brand new nest! Poor girl!

Once their colors start showing up I'll get some new pics! I can't wait to see what they look like..if I knew for sure what the dad looked like I'd have a better idea, but I don't :( It could have been the fawn male, but it just as likely could have been a different rat. I know they didn't have them for too long at the farm. So it will be fun to see what colors we got!

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
It will be very interesting to see what colors there are!

I've seen some pics with little pinkies with dark areas where they grow in black... would it be safe to say black isn't an option or does that all happen later? :lol: So much to learn...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm not sure if the black would show up yet..I would give it another 2-3 days before I say no blacks for sure. I only ever had one other rat litter, and that was many years ago..so I don't remember exactly when you could tell if they were blacks :( But from what I've read on the web color starts to show up around day 4. So maybe when I wake up in the morning they will have grown some fuzz overnight!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well they were 6 days old today! I do see some fuzz but it's impossible for me to tell what color :(
They all look the same, and I don't see any markings yet.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
oh man, i just want to put them all in my mouth. i don't know why i always want to do that to cute stuff. i snorgle puppy ears and feet too. :( and sometimes picasso gets chomped on a little.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
OnlyOno said:
oh man, i just want to put them all in my mouth. i don't know why i always want to do that to cute stuff.
Because they remind you of Peeps? :lol:

1 - 20 of 63 Posts