Rat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have both but that's because they seem to like slorping out of the bowls (My boys are weirdos). Bottles are way easier but If you do a bowl I really suggest one of these:

So they can't tip it and it's easy to pop the actual bowl part out to clean it every two days or so. It will get nasty.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
The benefit of a bottle is it provides your rats with a constant clean source of water. Bowls can be a little more fun for rats but they can get dirty quickly.

I use two small 10 oz bottles and one small bowl that gets attached to the bars of the cage. I like small bottles because I'm not good about changing the water daily so the small bottles force me to give my boys fresh water more often. The bottles I use have a valve instead of a ball-bearing so they're silent and they don't leak. I use a bowl that attaches to the bars of the cage because bowls that sit on the floor get a lot dirtier a lot more quickly.

·
Registered
Freddy, Alfredo, Juniper, Figgy, Dobby
821 Posts
I have bowls and bottles. Bowls get dirty quicker and I need to refill them quicker. I also noticed that they tend to walk in the water bowl which then gets the bedding wet and it is a whole mess. I prefer bottles. Make sure you have 2 or more water sources in case one stops working.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hey! Should I use a water bowl or bottle what do you prefer/think is best
I have both bottles and bowls in my cage and they both have downsides, for example
for bottles: they can leak a bit, and are harder to clean
for bowls: they can spill (for me, my rats climb under the fleece and like to spill it everywhere)
I do prefer bottles tho, once you find the perfect one its amazing!

·
Registered
912 Posts
I always have a bird bowl that hangs on the cage, and now I'm putting ice in the water. Phyllis loves it, dunks her head and steals the ice. It helps her to wash her face and porphy eyes.

·
Registered
Cloud and Dew (Pearl Merle and American Mink, both with Irish markings)!
511 Posts
Both! At least two water sources are necessary so that if one is ruined, they still have the other. I use the Choco Nose water bottle and this dish (not this exact one, but it’s very similar and I couldn’t find the one I have 😂)! Both are amazing and I can use the other side of the dish for more water or treats/food.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If I was you I would use a bottle for drinking, if you want the fun of a bowl, only use it for fun and remove from cage shortly after. If they drink regular from the bowl, it's a lot more likely to contain bad bacteria which can cause urine infections etc

1 - 12 of 12 Posts