Rat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does ANYONE know of a good LEAKPROOF water bottle? This is so important, as I'm travelling with my rats over Christmas. Please if you know of such a thing could you link it?

I've heard of watermelon etc, and will use this as a last resort, but I want to know if there are such things as leakproof bottles! Just found out mine are not ;)

·
Registered
227 Posts
I honestly don't know if there are any leak-proof water bottles in regard to ones you hang on the cage. Whenever I've been travelling with my rats I have to take the bottle off because it gets their bedding all soggy. (It doesn't leak otherwise by the way, just going over the bumpy road shakes the water out.)

How far will you be travelling? Would you be able to make stops and let them have some water along the way? That's what I would recommend.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I agree with Macabri, when I travel with the boys I just lay their water bottle next to the cage so the water does not drip out during the ride. My little sister offers them a drink every half hour or so, when the road's not too bumpy.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
put some frozen peas and corn in the cage while travelling. the rats will get moisture from the ice.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
i'm not sure how well it would wok because i never tried but if the bottle is operating correctly it souldn't leak in the car. the brand name is Lixit. its a valve operated, no ball to move around on bumps. but foods with a lot of water content like watermelon, apple or potatoes work really well too.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I've not found any leakproof water bottles - I've always been under the impression that if travelling the water bottle should be removed and alternatives (as reccommended above be given)

Anyway, I know sometimes I find it hard enough drinking in the car, espcially on the bumpier roads...imagine trying to operate a water bottle while jostling around. lol

On short journeys it shouldn't be much of an issue anyway. Usually mine just curl up and go straight to sleep on my lap

·
Registered
47 Posts
Oh, those Lixit bottles. My rats can never figure out how to use them! They work on lever action, and they really don't leak. They are the only waterbottle I have ever seen that doesn't. However, I wouldn't recommend them as there seems to be a learning curve for using them, one which seems to lead to dehydration before mastering the water bottle, at least with my rats.

That being said, I drove from AZ to WA last summer with my ratties, and we just took the waterbottle down, and offered them water over night and during any pit stops. They slept most the time anyways and didn't go for water while offered it on the road.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
mine took to the lixit bottle rather fast. i did start it for them though. once one caught on to what i was doing the others soon followed suit. i think, if i remember correctly, it only took a few hours for my group of 5 to all get a handle on it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts