Rat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This seems to have just started so I can't figure out the cause, but the water bottles in the boys cage are leaking and are soaking everything. They're the standard bottles - The ones you hang with the little bead that drips the water when they drink from it. There hasn't been an issue until last night. I don't know what happened, but when I was cleaning the cage (it's a DCN, split upper and lower to separate until I can all parties neutered for hormonal reasons) I noticed both the bottle up top for Finn, Jake and Beemo, and the one down bottom for Prismo and Billy, had massive puddles underneath. I didn't think much of it at the time, I know they will sometimes cause a mess, so I just refilled them and hung them on a different side to try and allow the spot to dry. This afternoon? Puddles. The little black ring is still in both, they're both screwed tightly closed, hanging upright. Would something cause them to suddenly start leaking? Is there a better water system to use?

·
Registered
539 Posts
I like the Lixit flip top valve bottles; they haven't given me any problems. It may take a bit for them to learn how to use them though.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have a link of some sort to the one you're talking about?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How is it difficult for them to learn?

·
Registered
870 Posts
It is not difficult at all for them to learn. It is a spring-loaded valve, and you may have to push the valve and show them that the water is there. My bird as well as my rats use this type of bottle.

For the bottles you are using now - it seems odd that they would both fail at the same time, but there are two things to check that may help. 1. Is anything caught in the tube? You could use a brush made for aquarium lines to wash the tubes and make sure there is nothing inside them. 2. Make sure the bottles are as straightly vertical as possible. Tipping a little off the vertical can prevent the ball valve from sealing.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had the same problem with mine! Mine is a huge one and I think maybe the pressure of the water when it's filled to the maximum fill line messes with it? I just don't fill it all the way to the maximum fill line. That seems to keep it in check. I got a smaller one too and I don't seem to have an issue with that one.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I've had this issue time and time again with so many water bottles. I finally ended up switching to a water bowl and a gravity waterer. I've never had an issue with my water bowl and gravity waterer. I do change the water in them more frequently then water bottles though. The water bowl gets a water change everyday, and the gravity waterer gets a water change twice a week or whenever I need to change it. The water bowl is metal and is about a good 12 years old now, and I've had the waterer for a year and a half. The water bowl was my bird's bowl before my rats started using it. =P

1 - 8 of 8 Posts