Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
From what I've read, people dislike trying to put anything strange into the rat's water because of their tendency to stop drinking when it smells/tastes off. Some people have had success with this, but personally I would be nervous about trying it. It seems like a high risk for something that can be managed in a different way.

·
Registered
504 Posts
If you want something to make them smell less, try putting a little vanilla in the water bottle. To us, it's bitter and disgusting... but I have two water bottles and the boys will ONLY drink from the bottle with vanilla.

It definitely cuts down on smell. I've been without vanilla for a few weeks because I wanted to make sure it was actually making a difference for me... it definitely was.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I too have mixed feelings about this. I won't say no to my boys urine smelling less, but is it worth the chance? I personally don't think so. But, if you do decide to do it, definitely have two water bottles. One with just plain water

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.