Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Iv'e had my new ratties for about 2 weeks now and they are doing great,
but I have a question about their water. I never see them drinking out of the bottle, so i have put a bowl (heavy, untippable) in. I took it out yesterday and cleaned their cage today. I had water in the bottom of the cage and put Boo in and he started drinking it. I don't think he uses the water bottle. When I put the water bottle back in the cage I let a few drops come out and Buster started drink what had dripped out. How can I get them to use the bottle. I dont want them to die of thirst, but don't want to keep the bowl in there either, but I'm thinking that is my only option. Please help. (BTW, the breeder did have a water bottle in the cage when my hubby picked them up, so they should know how to use it, right?)

Thanks,
Lisa

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm a new rat owner too, and had the same problem.
I ended up leaving both the bottle and the cup of water in.
With a cup of water you need to change it often as rats (at least mine) seem to enjoy dropping stuff in it. I keep the bowl in because they seem to enjoy it a lot more because they can use the water for washing their paws and some grooming, as well as for drinking.
However, if you really want them to drink from the bottle the best way I figured for them was to put some sort of food on the bottle nozzle and they'll lick it off for a treat but also figure out that water comes from this bottle when licked.
You can try something like a dab of peanut butter diluted with jam, or just jam, or something else (just plain peanutbutter can cause choking in rats, so moniter them).
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Don't put the cup of water in anymore. If they're thirsty, they'll drink from the bottle. Chances are, they know it's there.

Try what I tried at first, and lead them to the bottle, and tap it with your finger. This way, water comes out and you can put your water covered finger near their mouths so they lick it off your fingers.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Rats are sly and they have probably been taken a litrall drop or two of water..mine love to have water squirted on them (not litrally squirted but i squeeze the bottle and they all wash under it) Just make sure they get the concept of bottle+water+drinking rat= happy rat :)

Jess x

·
Registered
327 Posts
theyre just being lazy.. there keen sense of smell will tell them where the water is and they're intelligent enough to know that by licking it the water comes out, they just prefer the lazy way of the bowl..id take the bowl out and within no time you will hear the noisy rattatattattattattattattattattattattattattattattattattattat from the **** bottle all night while you try and sleep!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LMAO Daisy,
Thanks all. I have taken the bowl out, they just acted very thirsty as I was cleaning their cage, but since I had taken the bowl out 2 days prior and they seem very healty and happy I will assume they are drinking out of the bottle. Guess I am just being a nervous new mommy.

Lisa

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Some rats seem to always think they're thirsty when given fresh water... My Ojai boys are like that. :lol:

·
Registered
323 Posts
Your rats really need water so, make the water tastier to drink!

add 2-3 drops of flavored water in the water bottle, I have never tried it but, I might. I have heard of some people doing it and it supposivley really works!

You could just teach them to drink out of then water bottle, but, that might take a while, also, you just might HAVE to leave the bowl of water in! sorry.

good luck!

·
Registered
981 Posts
Is the bottle one of those large water bottles? I recently attempted to use one of those for a little bit and they simply would not drink out of it. I'm thinking the little tube at the end was too big.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts