Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I adopted two new rats. One is perfectly fine and the other has very watery, opaque eyes. It looks very uncomfortable and I'd really like to help her. Is there anything out there that you all know of that may help??? I'd really appreciate any help because I hate to see her this way. Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
More details needed. Age of rats, conditions bought in, any porphryin (red fluid) around their eyes/nose? Lethargy, hunched posture, puffed up fur, lack of appetite, not drinking? etc

Older rat with opaque eyes could be cataracts.

These are small cataracts developing, they got much bigger

This was right after an an eye injury...

Does she seem to be in pain? Closing her eye, shuddering etc?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried to get a picture but I can't get her to stay still long enough. She is healthy in every other aspect. Just her eyes are terrible. They are only half open, very watery though not dripping, no red leakage, and they aren't clear, very foggy. She can't see well at all because when I pick her up she gets really scared like she doesn't know what is going on and she runs into the other rats occasionally.
I thought it might be the pine bedding that she was being housed on so I took all of it out and now she is on newspaper. But there doesn't seem to be an improvment. Should I try eye drops?

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Personally I would take her to the vets. Any eye issue is nothing to take lightly. It could be anything from an eye infection to a glaucoma, I would definately get her looked at

1 - 5 of 5 Posts