Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so a week ago i got my rat from a pet store (bad choice, i know. We live in the middle of nowhere so its hard to find a breeder, etc.) and last night she started breathing really heavy and became lethargic and refused to eat.
This morning, however, its gotten worse. She pants heavily and makes a clicking noise, refuses to move, won't eat or drink, and makes whining noises every few minutes. Now i know this is a URI so i AM taking her to a vet this afternoon.
However, is there anything i can do in the meantime to maybe soothe her? She was using really dusty bedding so i changed that out and vaccumed her cage so none of the dust was there. I'm worried that she's feeling alot of pain and i want to maybe help her calm down and feel better before i can actually take her to the vet.
When i hold her she still runs around like usual but its that clicking and heavy breathing that's still there.
I'm really worried maybe she won't make it before i can take her? She's not doing anything and she's just sitting there and it's really worrying me!
Any help would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
Because you are taking her to the vet this afternoon, there's not much you can do to help her in such a short time. The whining noises, if they are pain, are NOT a good sign..if they are part of her breathing though, still not good, but not as bad. A rat rarely makes a noise even when in pain.

Can you get a video of her before the vet visit, so we can see what her body language is?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Because you are taking her to the vet this afternoon, there's not much you can do to help her in such a short time. The whining noises, if they are pain, are NOT a good sign..if they are part of her breathing though, still not good, but not as bad. A rat rarely makes a noise even when in pain.

Can you get a video of her before the vet visit, so we can see what her body language is?
i got her to the vet much sooner than i expected. They are keeping her for a day or two to make sure she's handling the antibiotics well.
It broke my heart to hear her whine and i cried because i didn't want her in pain at all.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did they give you a diagnosis?
URI. she'll be staying with the vet for a total of 14 days since they said the antibiotics were so pricey and they'd feel better administering them to her there and keeping a close eye on her. I check in on her everyday over the phone and i'll be visiting her tomorrow and she's doing much better!

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
This is very unusual. I never heard of rats staying at the vet for an URI. The only time it happens is if the rat needs oxygen for a few days so the antibiotics have a chance to kick in. She is probably very scared to be alone in a strange place:(Not sure what your vet meant with pricey antibiotics because antibiotics are not pricey. I hope she will be ok.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
My rat stayed at the vet for a while because they antibiotics weren't working and they had to put him on a new one and made sure it worked. Maybe that has happened here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts