Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are not spaying my littlest one Koi--- its too risky she is not very big. I got her a ball at petco yesterday--- she loves it you put her in the ball and put the lid on and she can walk all over the place--- and I don't have to worry where she is. She gets lots of excericise now and shes not like the energizer bunny anymore.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Be careful of the ball! My heart-rat Nicodemus got a VERY bad broken leg from a ball. I threw them all away after that.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
balls make great nests tied upin cage but you need to be careful if you use them as intended. when a rat is placed in one you are effectively blinding them. they see mostly with their sense of touch and smell both of which are inhibited in a ball. they could easily end up rolling off a ledge or down stairs and could be hurt. so caution is advised. i'm not sure the specifics of why DFW's rat broke his leg but she was lucky that was all the happened, i've heard of worse.

also, those balls are not the most secure things in the world. i've had a hamster get out of his before. if it wasn't for my cat's motherly tendancy and odd habit of taking on rodent children i may have lost the hamster. instead, sesshoumaru dropped fearless in my lap for safe keeping.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I just wanted to second the ball nest idea. I got a ball when I got new rats thinking it'd be awesome and before I'd done much research on it. Every rat hated it and never wanted to use it. Eventually I just put it in the closet for almost a year.

Later, I hung it up in the cage, put some cloth in the bottom of it, and now the rats love that ball.

·
Registered
42 Posts
a great idea for a cool hidy place for rats, is a giant tennis ball, the kind intended for dogs, and cut a hole in it - its much safer than hanging a (walk around) ball in there, cos i know mine was heavy and if they chewed through with a munchkin below - hes be hurt = [

and i agree they are a very bad idea.

heres the tennis ball idea = ]

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
That's cute, I really like the tennis ball idea! Miiight need to go back to PetCo soon... (I went yesterday, too. I think I have a problem!)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts