Rat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two rats: both female. Check. One aquarium with cage attachment affixed to the top. Check. Food, water bottle, salt lick, food bowl, wooden blocks, treats. Check. Avocado tree with leaves for nibbling ... wait a minute. Who said you could eat my avocado tree's leaves??? Time to move the tree and find out if you've just eaten something poisonous ...
Help!!! Are avocado tree leaves poisonous to rats? The rats don't seem to think so. They enjoyed 3 or 4 of them, and they are still acting normally ... I think ...

·
Registered
581 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I noticed a few things that you might want to consider doing differently though... Aquarium cages are generally frowned upon for rats because of the bad air circulation in them. It can make them more susceptible than they already are to respiratory infections. And from what I've read, the general concensus is that saltlicks are not necessary for rats and have the potential to dehydrate them. Also, avocado leaves can be poisonous to rats. I would take them to a vet if you have one or watch them very carefully right now if you don't. If you don't currently have a vet for them, I would find one as well in case something happens later on...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to know, Sabatea! I shall go searching for a better rat cage shortly. Right now I am the one with a respiratory infection, a.k.a. flu. However, staying home to keep an eye on the ladies is not a problem today. They do seem to be acting normally so far.

·
Registered
581 Posts
That's fantastic to hear that they seem to have no ill side effects. I'm sick the flu at home too! XD At least I have my ratties to laugh at. :3

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The ladies are still acting normally. The cat has taken an interest, but he is trainable. I have moved them to a locale where he has been forbidden to be. Still no change in feces or behavior. They are sleeping and eating normally, and they take an active interest in their surroundings.
Their names, thus far, are Mocha (white) and Espresso (black and white). I did not name them, so I have no explanation. Cage Rat Muridae Degu Muroidea I will mention that the salt licks are probably not a good idea.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Good news that they are doing well. I'm not a vet, but my dog gets into things a lot and I can say that if they've gotten this far with no ill effects, you are probably safe this time.

Eesh, good luck with that cat. Make sure the cage is secure!

·
Registered
835 Posts
I suggest putting some fleece or something down on the wire floor since wire can hurt their feet. (possible bubble foot(?) i think that's what it is called.)

·
Registered
21 Posts
You should get your rats a hammock. That's basically my rats' favorite part of their cage (other than the litterbox). Fleece is also good for cages, easy cleaning and all. Plus bumble foot is still a thing, although I've heard that it comes from wired cages.... but then I've heard it comes from rats running around in extremely messy living situations (bedding that hasn't been changed in months and stuff like that).

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm new to Rat Forum too...hello, and welcome to rat parenthood! We have three girls; Caramel, Sugar and Cookie (my daughters have a sweet tooth when it comes to naming pets, apparently)! They are SOOOO fun and sweet! And our cat gets along well with all three! They love their hammock too...definitely recommend one!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts