Rat Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dumplekins was put to sleep early this month, and now it seems to be his brother's turn. This time feels worse because it feels like it shouldn't be his time yet. He still acts healthy and alert and overall seems like an old, but healthy adult. He has tumors, but those don't seem to effect his day to day living. The thing that is making us put him to sleep is an abscess/tumor right next his penis. The vet thinks it is a tumor (likely cancerous) that has partly died and is infected, and causing a chunky, long, irregular shaped abscess that is growing. We had been trying to treat it like a normal abscess by doing warm compresses or soaks, and rinsing it out, and squeezing out the abscess gunk, but every time we squeeze it seems to cause him a lot of pain, and it bleeds a lot. We've been giving him ABs but it hasnt' seemed to help. And now it is still growing and has now started to grow almost inside the penis area, or is at least severely crowding into it so that it feels like it's inside. The vets have said that it likely cannot be removed, and it will only get worse and start to cause severe pain and difficulty or inability to urinate which in turn may cause kidney failure.

We want to spoil him as much as we can the next couple days by giving him all the tasty people food he would like. Nothing that would cause immediate health issues like cheese that might upset his tummy, but things that are tasty and fatty won't be an issue since he won't live long enough to be effected by gaining weight.

What foods can anyone suggest that would make him feel like a little king? Steak, veggies, roast chicken, etc? ANYTHING he might enjoy we will buy or make special for him!

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Have you ever given maple or brown sugar oatmeal? It's a favorite. I would also get seeds and nuts for birds for him. I literally make my rats anything I can. Salmon, stir fry, rice, Mac and cheese, meatballs. I go through and grab any thing in my cabinets.

I would make him some cookies, sugar free or peanut butter. I have always broke down crying at this point but I've always tried.

I'm sorry you're going through this. I lost three rats in quick succession, and the two who were okay but would suffer soon were the hardest. It's probably the best thing a parent can do, but it's the hardest decision you've got to make when they're not actively suffering.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the suggestions. I'll stop by the store on my way home tonight and buy some feast materials! I haven't tried the oatmeal yet, but that sounds like something he would like.

Yes, this loss is much more difficult than with Dumples... I feel like a villain or something when he still acts fine. I feel guilty taking away even an hour of his life before the pain starts. His brother was slowly wasting away and we just got the rest of the necropsy results today which told us it was a cancerous pituitary tumor that was basically to root of all his issues over his last few months. But Pancakes is still acting normal, and I feel terrible. Even if I know it prevents some sudden major suffering if/when his kidneys shut down. The vet said it could happen anywhere from 2 days to a week, so it has to be done very soon.. Probably Monday, and hopefully he will hold out until then.

Tonight for sure he'll be getting salmon, seeds and nuts, and some other tasty things I find in the store.

If anyone can suggest anything else, I'd love to hear it!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your thoughts. :) We bought him a trail mix that has almonds, raisins, walnuts, hazelnuts and dried apple. We also got shell-on sunflower seeds, blueberry goat yogurt, and I also bought him some live mealworms as a special treat and he seemed to like it (all the rats did!). My boyfriend bought him a hamburger at in-n-out and gave him about a square inch sized piece. We have some salmon filets in the freezer so I'll fry some salmon tonight and give him some of the meat with the tasty crispy skin. We also have some natural peanut butter in the fridge that I'd like to make something out of it for him. We have some canned oysters in the cupboard we'll give him in the next few days, and some leftover wet cat food that we had bought for Dumplekins but haven't opened yet. I'm thinking about tomorrow getting him some sashimi of various types since he's always liked that in the past. Probably some salmon and salmon roe, maybe some hamachi or albacore too, and if they have any uni, that would be a really special thing for him!

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Mix the peanut butter with flour, it'll create a nice dough. It's used for medicine balls but hey.

You could make him (or buy) tamago sashimi. It's one of my personal favorite foods. Soy sauce, brown sugar, and egg.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tamago is good, we can make it at home. I bet he would like that too, thanks! :) I forgot about eggs! He loves them. I will probably boil a couple eggs for him tonight too!

·
Registered
673 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that. I hope he enjoys his few hours left. Really sorry.

SO, pile him high with junk food, and fatty foods, and EVERYTHING!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's Pancake's dinner for tonight (on top of access to his normal oxbow of course). We made takoyaki (like a small savory dough ball with chunks of octopus, tempura crunchies, green onion, and ginger. Topped with mayo, takoyaki sauce, powdered seaweed, and flakes of dry tuna bonito), maguro tuna sashimi, salmon sashimi, 2 live mealworms, some trailmix and sunflower seeds, and a blob of wet lamb catfood.

I'm fairly certain he has the same thing his brother did on top of his current problems. Watching him carefully today, he seems a little bit wobbly/weak and he's lost some weight. He also doesn't seem too interested in food.. But I'm hoping a good portion of his dinner will be missing next time I check on him.

Tomorrow he will get more stuff that we bought special with him in mind.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am so sorry you are going through this. We just went through this with our Patches. She had tumors that were removed twice, and came back amazingly quick. She could not breathe one early Sunday morning, and we had to rush her to the emergency vet where they put her down. It was awful. We still find ourselves crying over her. We had her cremated and my daughter keeps her on her dresser. So, your decision to do it before the suffering starts is wise. Anyway, you've given me alot of new ideas of what to buy for our ratties in your posts, I never knew they would eat salmon or oysters. Our rats go crazy over Farina. I make it with butter, sugar and a little milk. They literally fight over who gets the best place at the bowl. I know it's not the best thing for them, but they absolutely love it.
Again, am so sorry about Pancakes. I know how hard that's going to be for you.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I forgot to post a picture of his dinner last night, I thought it was cute. :p He ended up eating almost all of it which is good! But after watching him for a little while last night, it seems he probably has a pituitary tumor too.. He's acting a lot like Dumplekins, he seems to be getting a little weak, and seems to be just at the beginning of losing hind leg mobility where when he takes steps, sometimes his toes curl under his foot instead of walking normally. And after giving him a bath/soak for his abscess, we've realized he's lost weight too... It's almost exactly the same symptoms his brother had. At least I don't feel as bad now about having him put to sleep on Monday, because now we know that he definitely wouldn't be just normal if it wasn't for the abscess, he would still have all the bad symptoms that Dumples had, if not worse. Poor little guy.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
pituitary tumors are hard, but you're doing the right thing. I had Athena put down when her front legs started to go -- too early for some, but I would rather spare her the misery later on. Just spend time with him and remember the past. It's so hard to lose our babies.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It really is. I'm not sure how many people I believe, even if they claim to have had their rats since they were babies, but I feel so sad and jealous when I talk to people who have 4 and 5 year old rats!! It seems impossible. I've never had a rat make it to 3. But now that we strongly suspect a PT, it's much easier to let him go. It's still really sad, but hopefully his last few days will be just a little bit more special to him.

Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts and comforting words <3

·
Premium Member
3,636 Posts
I never had a rat make it to 3 either. Don't feel too bad - sometimes that's just how it goes. It's better to let them go while they're still enjoying life than wait until they're in visible pain.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
My babies so far haven't made it to 3, which is heart breaking. So far, only the rescue I adopted at AT LEAST 1.5 made it over 3. The parents of my babies died before their 2nd birthday. I feel almost cheated, since most people say 2-3 is the life expectancy.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I'm so sorry you're going through this. :(

When I lost my first rat, Cocoa, my heart broke. Her tumor got to a point where it just was impacting her movement. I had to make the tough decision to euthanize her.

He's so fortunate to have had you in his life to give him such a wonderful existence from the get-go. :) You're an awesome rat parent! :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts