Rat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And the picture quality is excellent! We picked up our three girls last night, and boy are they fun to watch. My boyfriend and I were watching them slowly explore their new cage. They seemed to keep to their box (rat base) but this morning they're more curious and feeling up to coming out of their shells.

One girl in particular has warmed up very quickly, she will come up to us and sniff, mouth, and kiss our hands. We're thinking about calling her Neptune, Toonie for a nickname. The other two are slowly getting use to everything so we'll name them when they've showed more of their personalities to us.

All three are related and they're all Russian Silver Agouti variegated. Two have top ears and the other one is dumbo eared. The dumbo eared one has a tiny headspot, and I've been calling her little Starbuck.

The other top eared one has been pretty shy so we're still deciding which name will fit. I look forward to getting to know her more.

View attachment 240761
View attachment 240753

For those of you who remembered... I think it was back in July or August I was looking into getting pet rats and having somewhat of a difficult time getting my boyfriend on board. It's felt like a very long time up until this moment. I'm so happy that my boyfriend is as excited as I am having them.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Im so happy for you. I know you have waited a long time for rats. And they are so little!

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks JAnimal! Yeah they are still little ones, but I'm sure they'll grow very quickly!

I'm glad I waited to get these girls they are worth it!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
What is in the second picture. Are they trying to crack open an egg?

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I gave them a hard boiled egg for breakfast. Their normal feed doesn't have enough protein for babies so I'm giving them some supplemental protein.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I should try that with my little ones. They are on oxbow but they aren't old enough yet to not get extra protein.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you :) I think they should get a bit darker silver with tinges of brown if they're like their mom, but so far they're a cool silver.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@ OMR Thanks! :)

Neptune is very comfortable with me now. She likes to snuggle up to my neck and isn't so jumpy like her sisters. I'm trying to go at each of their paces, Neptune is the bold one, Starbuck is second in command, and the little shy one is taking longer to warm up. I'm thinking about naming the shy one Tree.

I try keeping play time and interactions brief as to not startle them too much, however Starbuck and Neptune insist on being in my sweater.

Here's some pictures of Neptune... why so many pictures of her you ask? Well I think she likes being the center of attention.

View attachment 240857

In the top right image I found all three of them like this in the morning. They were sharing their Strawberry hammock.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts