Rat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We kept the appointment with the vet for him to check out the two girls and the boy. Just to make sure they were fine for right now. We are planning on giving them a bath tommorrow with rabbit shampoo. One of the rats got a little blueberry on them last night--- and this morning I was like what is on her--- and then my mom told me she gave them blueberrys yesterday. So while at Petco we got rabbit shampoo, and some other things. How many people have given their rats a bath?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Re: We kept the appointment with the vet to have him check t

I've given my rats baths with puppy shampoo.

Be prepared for scratches and unhappy rats. If it's not bothering them, I'd like them be purple.

·
Registered
208 Posts

We bathe rats once a month in our house. The best tip I can come up with is wear long sleeves, you're gonna get scratched. :p

I actually find my boys do better in the sink empty with the water running. I hold them and stick them under the running water then let them walk around in the sink. I usually either lather my hands up with ivory dish soap (very small amount) or baby shampoo. The dish soap is good for getting the grease off the boys. Anyway after my hands are lathered up I pick up a rat and let them walk through my soapy hand, then I rub all over their backs, then we rinse, rinse, rinse and rinse some more. Then we rinse again, and again. I can't rinse enough, more rinsing. Then the best part of bath time in my opinion, towel time!! They LOVE being dried off in towels, especially if they just came out of the dryer... (Mmmm remember that feeling as a child, or even still, of fresh clothes out of the dryer?? pure joy).

Again, rinse well.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Well the vet said they are all in good health for now and not to be concerned and just enjoy them. Darla isn't even wheezing anymore, and Koi weighs about 6 ounces, Ira about a pound and Darla I don't remeber how much she weighs. Also that we should only give lab blocks and dry food--- and not fruit and veggies. Maybe as a treat, but he has a pet rat too. What do you all think of this?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts

I think fruits and veggies make a fine snack... can't see what would be wrong with them.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thats what I thought too--- what if we give them less fruit and veggies and more dry food?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts

Well, if you're thinking something like Suebee's.... half block/half mix + veggies/fruits as treats?

·
Registered
2,755 Posts

fresh foods such as fruits and vegtables has always been recommended as a supplment to the dry food for a good and balanced diet. i don't understand why the vet would say not to feed it to them. there are better veggies then others and with males you'll want to aviod oranges but that's not reason enough to ban all fruits and veggies. i can't understand where the vet is coming from...

·
Registered
418 Posts

I bathed me girl once and she liked it! Here's how I did it with her, though it probably won't work with most rats;

Made sure the bathtub was clean (no icky soap residue).
Put rat in (no water yet)
Distracted her on the end away from the drain (not as easy as it sounds!)
Put water on low, adjusted to correct temperature, and plugged drain.
Added puppy shampoo
Then she finished her pea and walked right into the water! She even went under the 'waterfall'.

She didn't appreciate getting scrubbed up with soap though. But she let me rinse her under the running water when we were done.

·
Registered
59 Posts

i gave mine a bath in the bathtub...after she found the cats' listerrboxes *rolls eyes*

Ryan didnt like it very much and was pouty but didnt bite or scratch. she kinda likes being in the water.

the more often thier around water, the more they may get used to it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts