Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my rats to the vet today for myco and fur mites. The vet was great with them, very gentle and sweet. Sylvester weighed in at one pound exactly. Came home with Revolution and Baytril pills. They didn't have Doxy and said that Baytril with a tetracycline mixture should work well enough since my rats weren't 'too sick' in her opinion. They thought the vets table was the best play place they've ever been on. :lol:

And for the humor side of things, one of the vet techs was terrified of rats and went to hide in another exam room while my rats were there. LOL I felt kind of bad for her as everyone else that worked there was all excited about the rats and thought they were just cute and sweet little creatures.

So were starting our medications today, hopefully I do ok with it. And I think I got out rather cheap too as a bonus! Only $127 after it was all said and done.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Only $127 for EVERYTHING?!!!? 8O

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, it was $36 for the office visit charge, $42 for the Revolution and $49 for 25 baytril pills. :) I thought it was pretty silly also for someone who worked with animals to have such an irrational fear of an animal, but some people are just really afraid of certain things, snakes, dogs, sharks, rats, really small children. :lol:

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
Good price!!

Just for your info though, Baytril (enrofloxacin) is not a tetracycline, it is a fluoroquinolone class of antibiotics, which is totally different and usually more effective. :D

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I know they aren't they same. I had tetracycline already so I didn't need to buy any from the vet. The baytril already seems to be working also! Maybe it's just me but I swear they aren't sneezing much if at all anymore and they ALL seem to be just happier in general. I had to mix the crushed up baytril with baby food to get them to eat it, and the tetracycline goes into the water bottles. Just have to be sure to keep the bottles covered with a cloth or something so they don't get too much light or the it will react and begin to mold after a few hours.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts