Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About two days ago I noticed that Pip had bald spots under her chin and that the other ones were itching a lot, like 3 times as much as usual. I was afraid they had buggies so I took the whole mischief (a group of rats is called a mischief, isn't that cute?) to the only vet around here I could find that sees rats.

They did a skin scraping of Pip and didn't find anything but just in case there were unseen bugs they all got Ivermectin sub-dermals. They were surprisingly good about them, only Tweek tried to run away. Then each one got a exam and all were declared in good health. None of them had any sores or respiratory issues which made me happy as they all came from various pet shops (only the nice local ones) but I was still afraid they could have something I didn't know about.

My vet was quite nice and only charged the exam for one (Pip) but I had to pay for the Ivermectin on the other six. $250 isn't too bad for 7 rat exams and medicines. Como Park Animal Hospital in Saint Paul, MN is where I went. They were very nice and seemed to be well informed and they loved my ratties!

My vet said that in case they don't have bugs and have an allergy to the bedding I should use different bedding, so I got some CareFresh.

After that ordeal I got to go to the pet store and buy all new hammocks and hide-y houses. The vet said I could use the other ones but only after a good cleaning and freezing.

Now they're all zonked out on the wire shelves, I guess they aren't used to the new bedding stuff yet. Poor little guys, got all poked with needles.

Anyway, just thought I would share.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Re: We went to the vet today.

what type of bedding were you using before?

glad to hear it went well and your ratties are not infested! Also, if you like and trust your vet, you should put the info on the vets sticky. That really isn't a bad price to get all of your ratties checked out with meds!

I think a vet run with all my rats at once would cost me about 200$ without meds! anyhoo just a suggestion ;)

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I have read that some bags of bedding can be infested with little buggies (eww) glad to hear you switched!

How much was just the exam for one rat? I'm looking for a new vet in the area
TO THE VETS STICKY!!! LOL ...... I knew it would be useful information ;)

edited for html error :oops:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Today I noticed that Pip's hair is growing back. In addition the other rats have stopped scratching so much. So, whether it was the Ivermectin or the new furniture in the cage, something worked. Woot.

:):)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts