Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Do you think there's any detriment in wearing gloves while handling my boys? They don't bite...they're actually very sweet.

It's their nails. Barry, especially, has carved his name into my arms and hands. I wear long-sleeve shirts, which has helped with my arms...but my hands are looking as if I got in a fight with Wolverine!

I have read threads on trimming nails, but I just am not there yet. I'd be too afraid I would trim too close. They both fidget in my hands, so I don't want to even attempt it.

I have a lava ledge under their water bottle. They do sit on there to drink, but without movement of their nails across the stone, that does little good.

I have a pair of fingerless gloves and I think I may try those. I enjoy spending time with my guys, but I don't enjoy the bleeding as much! LOL!

Thanks for any advice. :)

·
Registered
624 Posts
Haha, I mean. I feel you on the nails being sharp. (I usually ATTEMPT to trim when they're napping.. But they'll wake up when I'm like halfway, so it's so frustrating. bahaha.) I deal with it, though.

Personally, I wouldn't feel as bonded with my ratties if I wore gloves. I like letting them nibble on my fingers and getting them used to my scent. (Especially the youngest 2)

Fingerless gloves though, might do the trick. :3

I was also thinking about putting a single brick under their food bowl (as it is up high) to try and dull their claws, but I haven't looked into it yet.

·
Registered
161 Posts
To trim my ratties nails, I let them walk around on concrete. You can buy little fences to keep them contained. It works, just make sure the concrete isn't hot!

·
Registered
624 Posts
To trim my ratties nails, I let them walk around on concrete. You can buy little fences to keep them contained. It works, just make sure the concrete isn't hot!
Thanks for the tip! :)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you both for your ideas. :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Haha, I know the sharp nail struggle! xD

I constantly have scratches and cuts all around my neck from Amadeus climbing on me. I don't mind, though; I prefer to think of them as love notes. c:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts