Rat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not considered getting a CN or DCN due to the cost, but now I'm leaning towards it to save space... if I can get it at a good price. I don't have an issue with spending $250 on a cage, but my husband does. :rolleyes: My other two cages ran me about $50 each, so let's just say that a DCN would be a huge jump in price and I'll have some convincing to do.

If you guys know of any sites that regularly run sales on them, please let me know. Also, if you know of any sites that sell the metal pans that would be great too (I seem to remember seeing a chin site once that sold pre powder coated pans). If the stainless steel bass pans are OK to use as-is (will last without being painted / treated) I may go that route.

Thanks for your time and help!

·
Registered
43 Posts
ferret.com and 1800petsupplies.com seem to have decent priced CN/DCNs. Still expensive, but cheaper than some other websites.. and if you can find promo codes for them, it'll be cheaper. Right now a DCN on 1800petsupplies is $179.99 which is a very decent price considering the original price of $239.99. Not sure of the pans.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I think ferret.com has $5 shipping right now. Not sure about other sites. Drs Foster and Smith usually has free shipping and decent prices as well.

·
Registered
953 Posts
The one on amazon drops down regularly as well. I got it for I think it was 189, or thereabouts. Then I just say it was dropped under 200 again recently and just went back up a couple days ago.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I recommend checking craigslist. I have gotten two SCN (which I made into a double). I got both on craigslist, one for $80, the other for $75. Both were basically brand new, and had only been used for about a week each. So basically I have a double that I can convert back into two singles and only spent $155. You would be amazed at the good deals you can find if you're patient. For both of these cages, they were asking high prices. I messaged them when the post was a few weeks old and hadn't sold. They will usually always take less if the post is older.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again for all the information! I will keep an eye on the amazon price for a while and see if it drops.

Aeyna- I have been checking CL periodically for months now. The closest cages to me are about 2 hours away (so I'd burn up the savings in gas).. Apparently my area is a deadzone for critter supplies on CL they don't have any rodent things or reptile supplies.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Try camelcamelcamel.com it has a price history for everything on Amazon and has an alert feature where you can set a price threshold and it will alert you if the price drops lower then your threshold.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I got my DFN on craigslist for $90. If you don't see any popping up around you, try perhaps posting a want ad? Flyers in local vet offices? Any critter-oriented message boards or facebook groups in your area? Local garage sale groups/postings? Or maybe seeing if the cage owners on craigslist would be willing to meet you halfway, if that would make it worth it to you?
Also might be worth a shot asking if any wildlife/animal rescues in your area would be willing to sell you one. Sometimes they need all the cages they have, but if they have a surplus (the refuge I volunteer at has sooooo many cages) they might have more need for the cash. If there are any open to the public, I would suggest going in in person and striking up a conversation. If they aren't willing to sell any, they might know someone who is.

Just some ideas! Hope you find what you're looking for!

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again for the great info guys!
Dan203- I signed up for the alerts... That is a very useful site (I'd never heard of it before). Hopefully the price will go down before Christmas (I'd like to have it before then).
MinorRobot- I'll keep an eye out on my local FB groups. Like with CL, my area seems to be a no mans land when it comes to owning exotics of any kind, so there are not many people near me who keep animals that would need a DCN the only ads I do see occasionally on CL or groups are people rehoming their ferrets with a cage. There was on ad on CL yesterday for a DFN, but the lady wanted $250 for it and I can easily get it cheaper new. There are also no rescues in my city other than the local pound, (nearest is in Atlanta, 2 hours away), so again, probably not an option, but I'll keep my eyes open.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wanted to thank everyone again for your input. I ended up finding it for sale on ebay from a seller for $199 including shipping (new) so I went ahead and got it. I figure that's a pretty good deal all things considered. I just hope the one on Amazon doesn't drop to $150 now that I've purchased that one. I'll be sure to post pics once it's setup.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.