Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi , I introduced a new rat to my lone rat snoogles a couple weeks ago and although everything went as well it could theres this one small problem.

My new ratty is peeing all over the place , at least im pretty sure its her as this never happened when snoogles was on her own.

By everywhere i mean on all the plastic shelving platforms , in the tubes , all over the hammocks , the wooden chew toys and most annoyingly even on the lab block and in the food bowls.Has anyone else had this problem and if so will it pass or is there a way i can get her to do it on the litter on the floor ? Im just worried that the food keeps getting contaminated everytime i change it and ill have to keep getting new vitamin blocks and chew toys.

Thanks in advance , Gary

·
Registered
532 Posts
she may just be over-reacting and scenting everything to try to make sure she's part of the territory...i don't know if females scent at all, but i'm guessing maybe that's what boy ratties would do, perhaps it applies to new females?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
yeah, my girls scent mark everything that one of the others has been on, especially when i have them all on my bed for playtime. the big girls have to cover the odour of the littlies, and vice versa, so i end up with a rattie-scented bed.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You put it so nicely ! "ratty scented". My girl absolutely reeks !

·
Registered
155 Posts
today when winkie was climbing over pookie she did this twice: she and when i saw this i watched. after she climbed over pookie i noticed a drop of pee on pookie. is this suppose to happen after you put two rats in a cage together?

·
Registered
227 Posts
I don't think it's unusual. My oldest girl would dribble on everything, I think she was just letting me know it was hers.

·
Registered
155 Posts
so pookie has been exepted?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I started with 2 girls and they dribbled everywhere, it happens alot when you first have them out and they are running around on you. After a while it seems to peeter off. When i got my 3rd addition she didn't do it at all. Now she is in with the other 2 she does it as well. i would say it is a scent marking effort but as they all do it all the time it can get a bit....oooooooeeeerrrrr!
i always make sure i have an old jumper on, my partner moans sometimes but i know he loves it when they are all out.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
they dont seem to do it outside , just everywhere in the cage ! nothing stays dry for more than a couple hours !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts