Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
You can wash the fleece between uses, either by hand or in the washing machine (if you put it in a mesh delicates bag it cuts down on the rat fur in your washing machine).

That or switch to a substrate rather ran fleece. shredded card like greenmile and Finacard is readily available here and much better than fleece in my opinion.

You can sometimes cut down on the amount of urination not in litter trays by litter training and placing them close to sleeping places but rats will mark, it's a natural behaviour that they should be allowed to do in there cage

·
Registered
307 Posts
My boys still pee in their hammocks. I change my bedding (fleece) three times a week. They only poop in their litter box. I've tried the pee rock method. It didn't work. Instead of buying new fleece everytime, have a set of 3 for the cage. And wash them in hot water an vinegar. Vinegar helps allot to take the urine smell away.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Id recommend going to www.ratrations.co.uk and getting some greenmile. It's the best card bedding I've used. use that over the floor of the cage. If you have litter trays then they also sell paperlit and back to nature which are great litters. They also sell hemp bedding and different types of card bedding so you can try a few. The postage is quite high but they also do great rat food abd toys so if you bulk buy it often works out cheaper than going to a petshop. Also once you know what you like you can ring around places locally to see if they do it (house and Farm shops often do card squares and hemp bedding, oh and i rate bedmax too, it's a high quality heat treated and dust extracted shaving which is about the only shaving i would use).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.