Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new mom to two pretty little raties, Max and Ruby. Currently, they live in a single critter nation at my school. I'd like a smaller, lighter weight, inexpensive cage that I can keep at my house so I can bring them home on the weekends rather than having to go to the school to clean, feed and play. I do give the free range time so they won't be caged all the time. I also want to be able to take the cage to a family member's house on those few weekends I go out of town. Does anyone have any suggestions for what type of cage will work for the weekend only? I've searched the local trift stores and I've only found tiny hamster cages.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I have two different travel/hospital cages. One has 3/8" bar spacing and the other has 1". If your girls are small then I'd definitely get a cage with smaller spacing than 1".
This cage I found at a feed store for $40. I like it if I have to transport more than one rat; it's definitely big enough for 2 girls to live in for a couple days at a time. Unfortunately I have no idea of what brand it is.
image (17).jpg

This one I found on craigslist for $5. I use it as my hospital cage. It's an ok size for two rats for short periods, but doesn't have the height that they like. You can get these at petsmart for pretty cheap and they're super common on resale sites like craigslist; only problem is that they have 1" bar spacing.
image (18).jpg

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow. Thanks for the link. I don't have a petco so haven't looked there but can order it. That same cage at my Petsmart is $90.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts