Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've been looking for a cage to keep at home so the girls can come home on the weekends rather than staying at school in their SCN. I wanted something much smaller so I could also take them to a family member if I go out of town. I also didn't want to spend a lot of money since I did just purchase the SCN. I've been thrift store shopping and think I found a cage that will work. Plus it is only $19.00. The cage is 27.5"H x 17.5"W x 14"D. When I used the rat cage calculator it says the cage isn't deep enough for rats to live daily. Out of curiosity, I increased the depth to find out what size is appropriate. The magic number was 16". So, just two more inches and this cage would be appropriate for daily life. Here's my question, since the girls will only be living in this cage on weekends and I do let them out a couple of times a day to free range, do you think they will be fine in the cage?

·
Registered
468 Posts
Where it's only temporary, I'm sure they'll be fine. Two extra inches isn't really a big deal IMO, especially if they're getting free-range time and their cage is kept clean.

I have a thrift store rabbit cage that I use when a friend is taking care of them at her place. I also use it as quarantine or when I'm travelling. I'm not sure of the dimensions (I do know a rabbit couldn't live comfortably in it long term), but it was $4.99 and it does the trick. Some people even set up pet carriers as temporary cages and they do the trick.

You can always keep an eye out for something larger too.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts