Rat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I weighed my girls on February 7th. My oldest girl weighed in at 283g and I weighed her again today and she's 300g.

Could this be related to diabetes or anything like that? I read that somewhere so I'm curious what your guys' input is.

Although I don't know if it has to do with the fact that they have both recently stopped taking Baytril on the 7th. (They've been on and off Baytril, Doxy since Dec 10)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Antibiotics affect the good bacteria in rat stomachs, so it's possibly related to the fact that she's off the antibiotics now. Some studies have been done that show that the flora in stomachs can affect weight loss and gain.
Is she still young and growing? Females grow for up to seven months. 300 grams is a nice weight too so I wouldn't worry.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had her since October 2014. I don't know how old she was when I got her. I'd say no more than a month or so old honestly.

What should I do to help this?

·
Registered
219 Posts
I don't think you really need to help anything. Does she look healthy - bright eyes, shiny fur?
300 grams is a great weight for a 6 month old female, not too much or too little.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She does look healthy. Bright eyes, super shiny and soft fur, big appetite and drinking water good. Only thing is sneezes every so often but I'm assuming that's kind of normal?

·
Registered
680 Posts
She's still young, probably still growing.

My biggest boy weighs almost 600g. He's not really that fat, but he's like 50% bigger all the way around compared to the other 3.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Ya I wouldn't worry about the weight then.
Rats do sneeze. If she doesn't have any other symptoms, it's probably normal amounts. They breathe through their noses (unless they are extremely ill) so as you can imagine, they do sneeze more than mouth-breathers. Some sneeze more than others. There could be something in the room that irritates her or the products you use to clean the cage could cause her to sneeze. I have a girl who is sensitive to anything that smells at all, so she sneezes quite a bit.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So as long as she's still eating, drinking and playing she's fine? She sometimes whistles through her nose a little bit but it goes away after a few minutes.

·
Registered
680 Posts
that could be the hiccups. They get those alot, especially right after they wake up.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's not hiccups. Her body does a completely different motion and is almost soundless when she hiccups. It's most likely just debris in the house that's kinda clogging her nose or something??

·
Registered
680 Posts
Tempy does that when he first wakes up. It's almost like he's blowing his nose.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts