Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I recently adopted two female rats from a local Petco. We have had them for one week and it has been a lot of fun getting to know them but I have some concerns.

One of the rats has diarrhea which I attributed to the new foods he's been getting here. In the pet store they only had lab blocks and since they've been with us I have given them small amounts of carrot and broccoli, and a yogurt drop now and then. I figured this would clear up within a couple days but it hasn't stopped so I stopped giving them the extras. We know for sure which rat is having diarrhea because when we let them out, only the one is having a problem. And it hasn't cleared up.

Now within the last couple of days the rat has been shredding paper towels to make a nest and gets very irritated if we move anything inside the cage (stands completely still in a corner and won't move for a long time). She also grabbed my finger with her paws and bit down, not enough to draw blood but it was very abrupt and unlike her from what we've seen before (definitely was not a love nibble).
We have been giving them paper towels to nest with and one of the paper towels had something all over it that looked like smears of blood/diarrhea, we couldn't tell but neither of the rats have scratches or marks on them so we're not sure what's going on.

Should I be concerned about what's going on or is she just adjusting? It seems weird to me that she would be okay the first few days and now there's something wrong.
Could she be pregnant?

The other rat is fine and very friendly!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Yikes! diarrhea shouldn't last very long with rats even w/ food changes.

Nesting, and being protective, yeah I would think she could be preggers... But w/ the blood like smears, maybe she miscarried..? gestation isn't very long for rats, (like 20-25 days) So you could have babies soon, if she didn't misscarry. You may want to get her to a vet to see if she's coming along ok. And read up on rat babies, and have homes planed for them soon.. So much to do in so little time with a unexpected litter :?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts